Talk

Advanced search

How on earth do you sweeten stewed fruits without adding sugar or honey???

(12 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 17-Sep-07 17:07:32

I keep stewing apples and pears etc to give to my 9 mo with yoghurt but it's always soooooo tart! I've added cinammon and prune juice and still it's too sharp. Do you have any other ideas??

MaryBleedinPoppins Mon 17-Sep-07 17:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bessie123 Mon 17-Sep-07 17:09:33

Are you stewing cooking apples or eating apples? Eating apples shouldn't need too much sweetening but if they do, you could try adding apple juice instead of water when you stew them, and maybe some fructose? I know technically it is sugar, but I think it's supposed to be healthier than sucrose. You can buy it in Sainsburys.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 17-Sep-07 17:10:07

Just use sugar.
Sugar isn't poison to babies - it's just not something they should have too much of.

Peachy Mon 17-Sep-07 17:11:50

raisins?

but agree, some sugar is fine. Sugar's a fine food if used sensibly- eg to encourage LO's to eat their stewed apple!

bluejelly Mon 17-Sep-07 17:11:55

agree with last post, a bit of sugar not end of the world

Bessie123 Mon 17-Sep-07 17:12:38

There might be a reason why she doesn't want to feed her child sugar...

UCM Mon 17-Sep-07 17:13:57

Just use a bit of Nutrasweet grin.

I am joking, it will not hurt to have a little sugar. Remember that song 'a spoonful of Sugar....'

Using a sweeter apple or pear will help too. I don't add sugar to them.

CorrieDale Mon 17-Sep-07 17:14:47

A banana sweetens it nicely but tbh apples & pears should be fine if the fruit is ripe enough. What kind are you using?

roisin Mon 17-Sep-07 17:14:59

I wouldn't add sugar to dessert apples, and certainly not to pears. It's quite sweet anyway, and if you add extra sugar she will soon turn her nose up at vegetables.

Cooking apples (Bramleys and so on) need extra sugar or honey.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Mon 17-Sep-07 20:49:48

Thanks everyone. I've been using red eating apples such as gala. I am reluctant to add sugar because I don't want DD's 'base sugar level' to be fruit and am worried that if I give her too much sugar, she will start to find fruit tart and start craving sweet stuff. Mind you, my stewed IS tart, so I don't know what I'm worrying about!

Peachy Mon 17-Sep-07 20:59:55

That's the thing, if its to make stewed fruit palatable- fine. If its on a fruits alad (as poeple seem to do) then i'm a but hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now