Talk

Advanced search

Can I use less icing sugar in buttercream

(9 Posts)
noenergy Tue 05-May-20 13:59:23

I have always found buttercream very sweet so was wondering if I could use less icing sugar in it without it affecting the texture and making it too soft?

Also just wondering can I use ordinary sugar or does it have to be icing sugar

Need urgent help

OP’s posts: |
nobodysdaughter Tue 05-May-20 14:02:39

I always add less as I find the recipe always calls for too much. Add gradually, and taste test as you go
Yes you can use granulated but ONLY if you whizz it into a fine powder in your food processor/nutribullet first. Otherwise the consistency won't be right, and it'll be very gritty.

NannyR Tue 05-May-20 14:03:53

I think using less icing sugar would alter the texture of the buttercream. I would try looking for another, less sweet topping, maybe a cream cheese type icing or a dark chocolate ganache.

Perch Tue 05-May-20 14:04:38

I make icing with icing sugar and quark. Totally spreadable yet firm enough to pipe if you want to. Just remember to sift the icing first. You still have the sugar but not the calories from the butter and I’m sure i use less too (but I do it to taste so can’t give you measurements)

TickledOnion Tue 05-May-20 14:04:50

If you add salt it will help balance the sweetness. I use salted butter and an extra pinch of salt. Using less icing sugar will affect the stiffness of your icing.

Namechangex10000 Tue 05-May-20 14:05:51

I have no idea, I’ve always jsut uaed one big box, one 250g block of unsalted batter, vanilla extract and milk!

TeddyIsaHe Tue 05-May-20 14:08:55

Add salt, as it helps loads to balance the sweet.

FrangipaniBlue Tue 05-May-20 14:21:02

I use swiss meringue butter cream - but of a faff but way less sugar and butter !! (Plus you get a smoother finish if you're covering a cake).

noenergy Tue 05-May-20 14:26:01

Thank u so much for the quick replies, mich appreciated

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »