Talk

Advanced search

What to do with the onions

(31 Posts)
Thenthatsthatthen Sat 02-May-20 10:06:56

Someone has left a food parcel on our doorstep this morning-bread, milk, fruit and 31 red onions. What on Earth can I cook with 31 onions?

We’re vegetarian so french onion soup is out the equation.

OP’s posts: |
ClaraTA Sat 02-May-20 10:10:05

That's a lot of onions! You could make a vegetarian version of the soup? Onion bhajis (they would freeze well too), some chutney. Could you chop some and freeze it?

YouAndMeAndTheDevilMakesThree Sat 02-May-20 10:11:31

I'm going to show my ignorance here but I didn't know French onion soup wasn't vegetarian confused - I bet there's vegetarian alternative recipes for it on the internet though?

Otherwise I'd probably dice and freeze as many onions as I had freezer space for, then use them in general cooking.

MissBattleaxe Sat 02-May-20 10:11:45

You could still make French Onion soup. Just use marmite instead of beef stock.

YouAndMeAndTheDevilMakesThree Sat 02-May-20 10:12:05

Epic X post with @ClaraTA

AdaColeman Sat 02-May-20 10:19:11

Boiled onion as a side dish with vegetable stew.

Onion soup made with vegetable stock.

Onion relish/chutney.

Onions have a very long shelf life, so there’s no rush to use them immediately.

karmakameleon Sat 02-May-20 10:31:15

We had mejadra last night. This recipe only uses four onions but I’d happily use a couple more.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/09/mejadra-recipe-yotam-ottolenghi

Ricekrispie22 Sat 02-May-20 12:31:06

Tarte tatin www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beetroot-red-onion-tarte-tatin

Quiche realfood.tesco.com/recipes/red-onion-and-beetroot-quiche.html

FawnDrench Sat 02-May-20 20:50:27

Here's a lovely-looking vegetarian french onion soup recipe - 6 onions, you could always put more in though...

Thenthatsthatthen Sat 02-May-20 21:33:26

I have passed some onto next door, chopped and frozen some of them into individual portions, made bhaji’s and will be making some french onion soup tomorrow. DC would like to make onion rings so we shall attempt them as well next week. Hopefully that will use up the remainder of the onions grin

Redwinestillfine Sat 02-May-20 21:37:23

I'd freeze a load but definitely make onion bhaji's....mmmmmm

Redwinestillfine Sat 02-May-20 21:37:52

Sorry op, cross post!

PickAChew Sat 02-May-20 21:41:14

Get yourself an Indian cook book. 31 onions is nothing!

And they keep for ages. At the start of lockdown, I found some red onions at the very bottom of my salad drawer. They were still absolutely fine.

redferrari Sat 02-May-20 23:13:10

http://www.northindiancooking.com/how-to-make--freeze-onion-masala-in-large-quantity.html

If you like Indian food you could try this

HoneysuckIejasmine Sat 02-May-20 23:15:14

I pickle red onions. Apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt. Lovely in salads, sandwiches etc. Go really well with strong smoked fish like mackerel, or with cured meats.

fronttoback Sat 02-May-20 23:19:08

I bought a bagful around new year. They last for ages if you keep them in the dark and fairly cool (but not damp) - we had the last one a week ago.

clary Sat 02-May-20 23:22:38

I make this recipe from ds2's vegan cookbook which uses two red onions.

yybfrench onion soup is veggie surely.

Red onions will keep for weeks. I use about six - wo onions a week anyway.

clary Sat 02-May-20 23:24:24

Also onion tart, fry about four onions for an hour until they caramelise, into a pastry case and top with cream and eggs or creme fraiche then bake, The key is the looooong vpcooking of the onions.

Redshoeblueshoe Sat 02-May-20 23:34:01

I must be missing something. 31 onions is only one a day for the next month

priya38 Sat 02-May-20 23:36:56

Pass some onions around to your neighbors. Leave a couple of onions on each neighbors doorstep. If you get seen you may get called a witch though 😂-- oh wait that's supposed to be garlic I think--

CoffeeBeansGalore Sat 02-May-20 23:40:22

Coleslaw - chop onions & red cabbage, grate carrot, & add a dollop of mayonaise.

copperoliver Sun 03-May-20 00:22:12

French onion soup. X

Zillerdy Sun 03-May-20 00:45:04

Pissaladiere - www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/classic-pissaladiere-recipe
Just leave out the anchovies

Caramelized onions - www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_caramelize_onions/

Thenthatsthatthen Sun 03-May-20 08:53:08

We’re not huge onion eaters, we go through A small bag of shallots a month at most blush dc will pick them out of most things unless blended down. So 31 is a lot for us, I didn’t realise how long they keep though, so I won’t rush to finish the rest up. Thank you for your suggestions!

ClaraTA Sun 03-May-20 08:53:22

Great minds @YouAndMeAndTheDevilMakesThree 😄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »