Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Plums!

(12 Posts)
Ems Wed 11-Sep-02 17:29:05

I have so many plums from a little tree that has barely given us any fruit these past 5 years.

I've done the plum jam, and Nigellas baked plums (delicious by the way and freeze beautifully).

Does anyone else have any plum inspiring recipes to share?

bossykate Wed 11-Sep-02 20:14:01

Hi Ems

I have found the following recipe goes down a treat. If you don't like almonds or have nut allergies just substitute flour for the ground almonds - works just as well.

FYI - if you go to www.thisislondon.co.uk, click on food and drink section - there is a great recipe finder from Lindsay Bareham's column - 79 recipes for plums!

I will be making this on Sunday!

HTH.

Plum and Almond Crumble

Serves 6
Preparation 20 minutes
Cooking 35 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestion: Print this recipe for easier reference

750g plums or Bramley cooking apples

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 tbps sugar

125g flour

125g caster sugar

125g ground almonds

175g butter

60g blanched almonds (optional extra)

METHOD

Pre-heat the oven to 400F/200C/gas mark 6. Quarter the plums lengthways and discard the stones. If using apples, peel, core and cut into big chunks. Arrange the fruit in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar. Mix together the flour, caster sugar and ground almonds

and rub in the butter. Spread over the fruit. Top with the slivered almonds, if using. Bake until the top is nicely coloured - about 35 minutes. If you find the top colouring too rapidly, lower the heat to 350F/180C/gas mark 4. Serve hot, or warm as Paul did, with cream or custard. Or both.

Introduction

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 08 October 1999
Terms and Conditions
This Is London

Ems Thu 12-Sep-02 14:39:13

79 recipes, wow plums heaven, thanks Bossykate!

Cawthorne Fri 13-Sep-02 13:22:11

Delia Smith has a great recipe for spiced plum chutney in her complete cookery course book Have no time at moment but will try to type it in over the weekend, its delicious with cheese

bossykate Fri 13-Sep-02 13:33:45

you might be able to get it at www.delia-online.co.uk

Ems Fri 13-Sep-02 17:00:00

Cawthorne that would be brill, i did check on Delia online, but no chutney, yummy oat flapjacky type things though. Of course my two children thought they were yeuch, but I like them!

susanmt Fri 13-Sep-02 23:29:05

My Dad makes plum wine. If you have 2 glasses then you cant see to pour the third. It is great stuff!

Cawthorne Wed 25-Sep-02 20:42:54

sorry for the delay

3lb plums
1lb cooking apples
3 largish onions
3 cloves garlic
2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger
1lb seedless raisins
1 lb dark brown sugar
1lb demerara
2 pints malt vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 small cinamon sticks
10z whole allspice berries (I didn't put these in - couldn't find them anywhere)
1 dessertspoon whole cloves

wash & dry plums
remove stones and put plums in large pan
core and mince apples and onions and add to pan

crush garlic and add
add ginger,raisins,sugars and vinegar
sprinkle salt and give a good stir
wrap cinamon, allspice berries and cloves in a gauze bag and tie it to the handle of the pot so it dangles in the mixture (you can get tese bags at lakeland)

boil it all up then lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally. When all the vinegar has disappared and its soft then its ready IT WILL SET MORE AS IT COOLS

put in jars when still warm (heat the jars in a warm oven first.

cover with wax disc and screw lid.

Leave in a dark cupboard for 3 months before eating

Enjoy!

Ems Thu 26-Sep-02 19:57:09

Thanks Cawthorne, just in time as they are nearly all gone! Be perfect to get out for Xmas.

fms Thu 26-Sep-02 21:29:11

Hey Ems! Just found this thread. You HAVE to make this with your last batch of plums...

"Plum Shrub"

Fill large jar with halved plums including stones. Add zest of one lemon. Fill with granulated sugar till it reaches the top. Grab gin or rum bottle and fill up the jar to the top. Stick in a dark cool place, shake occasionally to dissolve sugar.

Do not tell dh or dp, otherwise they'll do a twice weekly sampling session "Just to check it's coming along nicely"....!!

Not only will it be ready by Christmas, but the plums themselves (minus the stones) are just FAB as a fruit for a Christmas trifle.

I've got a recipe for Christmas Pudding vodka which I'll dig out nearer the time. Steep Vodka in dried fruits, peel, zest and almond essence. Brilliant for pressies and makes a good start to the day when you take lid off after breakfast to give it a stir... and lick the spoon!

I don't have a drink problem... honest!

Ems Thu 26-Sep-02 21:31:53

oh fms, I can smell it now!!!!

Aefondkiss Sat 01-Sep-07 22:16:43

slurp at this plum recipe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now