Talk

Advanced search

Scottish recipes please!!

(28 Posts)
kirstygem Sun 16-Sep-07 21:07:02

Am having people round from work and we each taking turns at hosting and having a different country as our theme for all 3 courses of food. Any ideas or recipes gratefuly recieved smile

Spidermama Sun 16-Sep-07 21:09:56

Scottish cooking?

You've drawn the short straw there.

Stovies.

Left over meat, potato and lard refried and smushed together with a wooden spoon. Serve tepid.
Side vegetable .. Neeps smushed. (Swede).
Pudding ... hot buttery/rowey. (Lard cake)

Then hot toddies all around.

bobsmum Sun 16-Sep-07 21:17:07

Have a google for Cranachan - a lovely pudding with rasperries, oats and cream - you can add a liqueur too.

Haggis is dead easy, with buttery mash and neeps and a creamy, whisky sauce - I'll get the recipe for that. You're not strictly speaking meant to have a sauce with haggis, but this makes all the difference!

Beer from the Isle of Arran microbrewery is great. Isle of Arran single Malt is great too, as is their version of Baileys - far superior IMO.

Have a look at this blog - for some other ideas

scotsfoodie.blogspot.com/

Spidermama Sun 16-Sep-07 21:19:42

Sorry. I'm grumpy. But food really isn't the Scots strong point. How about Scotch broth.

kirstygem Sun 16-Sep-07 21:46:57

Definately going to do Cranachan and one other pudding. Going to do Haggis neeps tatties but thought mayber need another main as not everyone likes haggis. Thought maybe cullen skink as starter

mawbroon Sun 16-Sep-07 21:48:44

Don't have time to google for recipes, but have a look for the following:

Cock a leekie soup
Cullen skink (smoked haddock and potato soup)
Scotch broth

Salmon and herring are both traditional, as are venison, rabbit and steak.

Deserts can be shortbread based, someone said cranachan earlier which is delish. Gingerbread or anything butterscotch would do as well. PMSL butterscotch Angel Delight wink

If they aren't full after that, then there is always tablet or puff candy.

Drinks wise, there are a couple of scottish wineries who make fruit wines (yummy ones at that) try googling Moniack winery or Cairn O' Mohr. They do mail order I think. And of course there is whisky and also something a bit like Baileys, erm can't remember name, something like Heather Cream.

Oh, and of course haggis!

mawbroon Sun 16-Sep-07 21:50:06

Cullen skink is almost a meal on it's own Kirsty. You might need to thin it down a bit if you are having it as a starter.

MissTea4Me Sun 16-Sep-07 21:50:49

I made deep-fried Mars bars for Burns night once. Yes it was BEFORE Nigella + Gordon Ramasy et al made them briefly trendy.

MissTea4Me Sun 16-Sep-07 21:51:17

P.S. the mini ones work best.

fishie Sun 16-Sep-07 21:51:58

don't be silly. scotland has lovely food and excellent ingredients, fish, beef...

MissTea4Me Sun 16-Sep-07 21:57:52

smoked salmon

bobsmum Sun 16-Sep-07 22:03:20

smoked salmon....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm with oatcakes and cream cheese....mmmm

Beachcomber Sun 16-Sep-07 22:18:00

Loads of great Scottish food.

Loch Fyne Oysters, game, haggis, smoked fish, Aberdeen Angus, Scotch tomatoes, black pudding (yummy with scallops), beautiful lamb, oatmeal in things, soused herring, whisky sauces, etc, etc.

Am Scottish but live in France and am sick to death of people mocking our food!!

MissTea4Me Sun 16-Sep-07 22:18:52

Also Delia has a nice recipe for Arbroath smokie souffles; it was in those Xmas magazines she did a few years back but you might be able to find it on her website. Looks fancy but can all be made ahead, frozen, etc.

mawbroon Sun 16-Sep-07 22:46:11

Oh I remember that recipe MissTea. It was one of those which I drooled over, yet never got round to making. I have to drive through Arbroath to get to my parent's house, so I really had no excuse!!

I also remember seeing a recipe for a sort of savoury smokie cheesecake thing which you made in a ring. The base was like a digestive biscuit base but made with oatcakes and then it was whizzed up smokies, lemon and somthing like cream or a mix of cream and creme fraiche on top. I'm sure there were more ingredients than that, but I can't remember.

prettybird Sun 16-Sep-07 23:03:52

Another vote for Cranachan.

Good Scootish lamb - Nick Nairn does a good recipe for fillet of lamb marinated in olive oil, garlic and rosmary for 24 hours and then pand fired/ roasted, and served with new potatoes in a basil and olive oil dressing.

For starters, you are spoilt for choice: ultra simple, just smoked salmon, some lemon wdges and buttered brown bread. A wee bit more effort; scallops, griddled (only need searing 0 much better to uder cook than over cook) servied with some crsipy Aurshire bacon and a simple green salad with a raspberry vinegar dressing.
More subastantial: a cock-a-leekie or a cullen skink soup.

kirstygem Mon 17-Sep-07 10:01:42

Where would I find that lamb recipe from Nick Nairn? It sounds ideal for main course

prettybird Mon 17-Sep-07 10:49:05

It's from his book "Island Harvest". If I remember, I can look it out tonight for you - but I am going out so might not have time.

kirstygem Mon 17-Sep-07 11:29:57

That would be really helpful prettybird. Not having the people round for another 2 weeks so dont worry if you dont get it done tonight.

mawbroon Mon 17-Sep-07 11:37:08

I've got that book prettybird. I'll type up recipe when ds goes for his nap.

mawbroon Mon 17-Sep-07 12:52:56

Oh oops, sorry. I have the "Wild Harvest" book and although there are a couple of lamb recipes, they are not the one you describe.

prettybird Mon 17-Sep-07 12:59:07

So the onus is back on me! grin

tissy Mon 17-Sep-07 13:02:03

Atholl Brose

Lucewheel Mon 17-Sep-07 15:39:34

Can give you a recipe for chicken stuffed with haggis in a whiskey cream sauce if you are interested?

mawbroon Mon 17-Sep-07 15:44:45

Whisky sauce I hope!! shock

Whiskey is Irish smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now