Talk

Advanced search

What the H can I do with 8 pints on milk that are date stamped for tomorrow?!?

(43 Posts)
BobTheDuvet Wed 29-Apr-20 16:31:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
fallfallfall Wed 29-Apr-20 16:32:32

Freeze them.

AgeLikeWine Wed 29-Apr-20 16:35:14

Assuming your household are all in good health, And it Looks & smells ok, the milk won’t kill you if you consume it a day or two after the use by date. Apply sniff test & common sense. You will know when it’s off.

ReviewingTheSituation Wed 29-Apr-20 16:37:02

It will be fine well after the date, especially if it's not open (I'm guessing it's 2x4 pt). Just use as normal, giving it a sniff first. Even once it's started to go off, it won't do you any harm (it just doesn't taste very nice), so you have nothing to worry about.

If you're dead set on using it, then rice pudding (depends on having a certain type of rice I guess though); custard (could make custard and freeze it?); panacotta if you're feeling posh, or make nice hot chocolates by grating choc into hot milk.

But I'd just use as normal - my money would be on it being OK for at least 4-5 days.

GoGoJo Wed 29-Apr-20 16:37:28

Bread and butter pudding if you have eggs? Or other things with custard

But yeah I could probably split it into smaller portions and freeze. Especially if you aren't expecting any more anytime soon.

Ihaveamind Wed 29-Apr-20 16:39:27

Do you eat natural yoghurt? If so you could make some with the milk in your airing cupboard/bottom of your oven.
You could eat it and cook with it for a few weeks as it lasts about a fortnight.
Add honey/soft fruit to some of it and freeze for frozen yoghurt.
Also Rice Pudding takes a lot of milk if you want to make that for dessert today. I think Risotto rice works just as well if you have no rice pudding.

Khione Wed 29-Apr-20 16:40:35

I'm still using milk 2 weeks after 'best before'. It tastes fine, it smells fine and it looks fine.

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily suggest you do that - so long as it kept in the fridge it will be fine for at least a week. And - as others have said - you can freeze it -.

Rice pudding, yorkshire puddings, add to soup,

user1483387154 Wed 29-Apr-20 16:40:37

I agree with fallfallfall freeze it

Mammatino Wed 29-Apr-20 16:41:21

Lots of porridge, hot milky drinks like chocolate and Horlick. Milkshakes if you have any fruit, or chocolate spread and peanut butter in the blender with a banana? Cereal? Cheese sauce with a pasta dish?

ednatheevilwitch Wed 29-Apr-20 16:43:21

I would make a huge batch of cheese sauce and freeze it in portions for lasagne/cauliflower or macaroni cheese

Greenandcabbagelooking Wed 29-Apr-20 16:45:12

Freeze it
Give some to a neighbour

Binterested Wed 29-Apr-20 16:49:16

I would keep using it until you can’t. In my experience it will last at least four or five days beyond the use by date. The only time that’s not true for me is if it came from our corner shop where the fridge is not up to scratch.

BiddyPop Wed 29-Apr-20 16:49:47

Freeze some.

Rice pudding for tonight.

Pancakes for breakfast.

Scones - could do both a savoury cheese batch and a sweet (plain or raisin) batch - some to eat today/tomorrow, and freeze some to have another day.

Soda bread also uses milk. Both scones and soda bread would be a great way to use up whatever is left once it is starting to turn - they seem to like the acid of that point and both freeze well.

Custard.

Hot chocolate and marshmallows as a treat before bed?

I know you said DS won't eat cheese sauce, but could you do a cheese sauce as a side sauce for the rest of you?
Or do a proper mac'n'cheese with chunks of ham/chicken and lots of veggies (fried onion, fried garlic, fried mushrooms, diced raw peppers, cooked courgette, frozen peas etc ...). Mix together the cooked pasta, meat and veggies - serve DS - and then put the cheese sauce in after you take out DS's plate so the rest of you have it? Do a large batch, and freeze leftovers to have as a pasta bake another night (and do a tomato sauce based version or something else chucked in the oven for DS).

AdaColeman Wed 29-Apr-20 16:50:42

Baked egg custard

Rice pudding

Milk shakes

Yoghurt

Iced coffee

SoupDragon Wed 29-Apr-20 16:51:38

Unopened, it will be absolutely fine for a good while after the date.

elizabethdraper Wed 29-Apr-20 16:52:28

Feezer

AssangesCat Wed 29-Apr-20 17:01:07

Soda bread pretty quick to make, uses 300ml milk and the whole loaf goes in one sitting for three people here. If the recipe says buttermilk, just add a couple of tbsps of vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes.

Semolina if you have any.

Acidrain Wed 29-Apr-20 17:04:16

Rice pudding yum
Milkshakes yum
Freeze it - freeze it ice cube tray and put milk cubes in coffee tastes the same easier to use frozen
Give some to neighbour
Custard yum

YgritteSnow Wed 29-Apr-20 17:05:42

Milk is fine for at least three days plus after the use by date.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 29-Apr-20 17:07:20

Make béchamel and freeze it for future use?

Nydj Wed 29-Apr-20 17:11:28

You could try and make some paneer

Woeismethischristmas Wed 29-Apr-20 17:12:37

Dulce du leche is lush. Throw in 150g of sugar per pint boil and simmer for a couple of hours until caramel coloured and thick. Stir every 15 minutes. If the kids have marbles pop them in the pan helps stop it sticking. I'd run them through dishwasher first.

Hopeislost Wed 29-Apr-20 17:13:38

Another vote for Dulce de leche. It's easier in a slow cooker if you have one?

BobTheDuvet Wed 29-Apr-20 17:15:04

BobTheDuvet Wed 29-Apr-20 17:16:58

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »