Talk

Advanced search

I'm never sure how far ahead I can bake a cake ...

(8 Posts)
franch Sun 16-Sep-07 15:44:22

There's a fruitcake I make that definitely matures in about a week. But other cake recipes never say. I want to bake a chocolate cake this week for Thu teatime - only chance I get may be Mon afternoon - too early?

Pidge Sun 16-Sep-07 16:18:05

Unfortunately with other cakes it's often the case that the fresher the better.

Having said that, some stodgy types like chocolate brownie don't seem to harm with maturity.

We just hit the reverse problem. Dp asked for a fruitcake for his birthday today and I didn't get round to making it till yesterday. It's supposed to mature for a week, but we are already scoffing it!

NurseyJo Sun 16-Sep-07 16:19:31

Message withdrawn

nooka Sun 16-Sep-07 16:22:09

I think in general heavy cakes last well, and light cakes don't. We made Devils Food cake for dd's birthday and really it was best hot, but it was still good a week later (it's a very brownie/fudgish sort of cake).

Sheherazadethegoat Sun 16-Sep-07 16:22:10

or nigellas dense chocolate cake - nigella rocks.

BBBee Sun 16-Sep-07 16:22:39

what nursery jo said - or gingerbread.

franch Sun 16-Sep-07 16:32:47

Thanks all. I'll try to manage it Thu morning then.

Pidge, I have a great fruitcake recipe that's incredibly speedy and doesn't need maturing - made it for DD2's bday the other day and got loads of compliments - it's a Mary Berry one - the secret ingredient is mincemeat

Pidge Sun 16-Sep-07 21:05:16

franch - that sounds yummy - though I have to say the one I made has been scoffed enthusiastically without the proposed week to improve!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now