Talk

Advanced search

I'm an apricot virgin. Can someone tell me....

(4 Posts)
DANCESwithTheMorningOff Fri 14-Sep-07 15:32:41

Exactly what sort of apricots to use in this recipe...
I bought dried ones but I think that's wrong. What are 'ready to eat apricots?'

THE THIGHS OF IT! - Serves 2
Chicken Thighs Braised with Apricots and Spice Sensation Cous Cous
Ingredients
• Pinch of saffron or 5ml (1tsp) turmeric
• 300 ml (½ pt) hot chicken stock
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
• 2.5ml (½ tsp) mild chilli powder or to taste (optional)
• 75 g (3 oz) ready to eat apricots, quartered
• 1x 100g sachet Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Cous Cous
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• Small bunch coriander, chopped

Method
Add the saffron to the hot stock and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium frying pan. When hot add the chicken thighs and cook for about 5 -10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the cinnamon, chilli powder, apricots and saffron-infused stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for another 15 minutes until chicken thighs are cooked through.
While the chicken is simmering, prepare the Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Cous Cous according to the instructions on the carton and keep warm. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm. Raise the heat under the frying pan and reduce the stock by a third until nice and syrupy. Squeeze over the lemon juice and adjust seasoning.

CatIsSleepy Fri 14-Sep-07 15:36:20

dried ones that have been soaked in water, maybe?

or you can buy ones that are called 'ready to eat', they are quite soft

BananaPudding Fri 14-Sep-07 15:36:45

I think it means fresh apricots, but yours will do just fine. Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water, let them steep until the water cools. They will plump up and work nicely in your recipe.

DANCESwithTheMorningOff Fri 14-Sep-07 15:48:58

Bless you oh experienced ones, will try that tonight. DH will be pleased, I've been really stuck in a rut with cooking lately...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now