Talk

Advanced search

Delia Smith Radio Times Saturday Superstore Recipe Help!!

(14 Posts)
TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sat 18-Apr-20 20:13:19

In the early 80s Delia Smith used to have a semi-regular slot on the Saturday morning kids TV programme Saturday Superstore. One week she made a fabulously gorgeous and indulgent no-cook chocolate refrigerator cake using melted chocolate, digestive biscuits, instant coffee and fresh cream amongst other delightful things, and this recipe was published in the Radio Times.

As a child this was one of the first things I ever made - my Mum photocopied the page from the Radio Times but sadly years later the recipe was lost as my late Dad, who had dementia, destroyed a lot of the family papers in an attempt (in his mind anyway) to get things more organised!

I'd really love to find another copy of this recipe so I can make it for my own children. I did at one point contact the Delia website but they couldn't help so here I am calling on my lovely Mumsnetters to see if anyone else kept a copy. I appreciate it's a massive long shot! Keeping my fingers crossed that someone else will remember. It really was a very delicious cake!

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Sun 19-Apr-20 02:21:24

It isn’t this is it?

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/easter/easter-recipes-for-children-to-make/chocolate-fruit-and-nut-refrigerator-cake

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 19-Apr-20 08:38:26

Sadly no, not dissimilar to that but I don't remember nuts or fruit and it had a layer of whipped cream on the top plus chocolate shavings. Thanks though! smile

ByeByeMissAmericanPie Sun 19-Apr-20 08:55:52

We are big fans of Fanny Craddocks Viennese Saucepan Cake which can take a number of additions in the way of flavourings. Maybe try that...?

Pelleas Sun 19-Apr-20 09:01:32

If you can remember roughly when it was you might be able to find a scan of the magazine online.

TheGoatIsHere Sun 19-Apr-20 09:43:58

Is this it?

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occasions/easter/easter-recipes-for-children-to-make/chocolate-fruit-and-nut-refrigerator-cake

FawnDrench Sun 19-Apr-20 21:48:53

You could always contact via her website, or send an email to delia online or tweet her or whatever to ask for the recipe.
Someone her end might be able to help you.

OhioOhioOhio Mon 20-Apr-20 02:33:20

I do hope you find it. Does twitter not help for questions like this?

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Mon 20-Apr-20 05:54:34

@TheGoat no not that one sadly!

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Mon 20-Apr-20 05:55:41

@Fawn yes I did contact them but they couldn't help. I may try again though.

DustyDoorframes Mon 20-Apr-20 19:19:57

If you can remember roughly when it was, the British library will have the back issues of the Radio Times (possibly available online).
Have you tried contacting the Radio Times? They may keep an archive and be charmed to be asked!

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Mon 20-Apr-20 20:17:44

@DustyDoorframes that is a really good idea actually! I never thought of a Radio Times archive but I'm sure it exists somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was 1983 or 1984 so I will contact them and see where it takes me. Thumbs-up for the suggestion!

choppolata Mon 20-Apr-20 22:53:48

This might help OP - there only seem to be a few episodes she was on. genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&q=Delia+smith&media=tv&yf=1982&yt=1984&mf=1&mt=12&tf=09%3A00&tt=12%3A15&sat=1#search

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Tue 21-Apr-20 05:22:52

@choppolata That's super helpful thank you! At least it narrows things down a bit anyway!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in