Talk

Advanced search

Can you make your own baking yeast (not sourdough)

(8 Posts)
Frangipanini Fri 17-Apr-20 17:43:32

I can't find yeast for love nor money but have plenty of strong bread flour and plain flour. Also can't find decent bread, so would like to make own.

I am planning on doing a proper sourdough starter in the future (think I need rye flour) but in the meantime can I make my own yeast instead of using dried yeast?

If so (clever people), how?

OP’s posts: |
TheWooisStrong Fri 17-Apr-20 17:45:23

Not sure about making your own yeast, but a sourdough starter doesn’t have to be rye flour - mine is a white flour starter.

Mammyofasuperbaby Fri 17-Apr-20 17:49:00

No, yeast is a living organism so it cant be made but a sourdough starter would work

snowspider Fri 17-Apr-20 18:01:30

I made a quick soda bread today. 500g flour 2 tsp bicarb tsp salt spoonful of vinegar and one of oil in 400ml water. Sift together dry ingredients and then make a well and gather in wet ingredients quickly. Once roughly together form a boule shape and put on tray dusted with flour. Cut a deep cross in top and dust generously with flour. Bake in preheated one for about 45 mins.

Can adapt by adding herbs, seeds etc.

TheSandgroper Sat 18-Apr-20 14:02:25

Beer would work. Make as above with the soda bread recipe or allow to do it's thing overnight, perhaps. Beer damper is a thing in the outback.

No experience except working in a Threshers where a can of beer was pierced and sprayed over the back of the shelf. I could smell the fermentation a day or two later when I walked into the shop. And then I had to find it and wipe it all off the back wall.

StrawberryPi Sat 18-Apr-20 20:36:25

Sourdough starter is just flour and water! Nothing special!!

NW2SW Sat 18-Apr-20 20:39:14

There's a sourdough starter from scratch using plain flour 'how-to' on Instagram here, only takes a few days.

magicstar1 Sat 18-Apr-20 20:39:40

There are a few recipes going around at the moment. Most of them use raisins...this is a typical one. (The recipe is right at the bottom)

thesurvivalmom.com/august-skill-of-the-month-make-your-own-yeast/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »