Talk

Advanced search

Roast chicken ideas?

(7 Posts)
tinkywinkyshandbag Wed 15-Apr-20 08:20:00

Hi was lucky enough to get a Tesco order yesterday and have a whole chicken to use. Any ideas for alternatives to a plain roast? Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
MissHemsworth Wed 15-Apr-20 08:27:09

Hmmmm could depend on how far you want to stretch it? Some ideas are:-

- creamy chicken & bacon pasta
- fajitas
- curry
- roast chicken with potatoes dauph/veg
- chicken & veg lasagne
- chilli
- stir fry
- salad
- jacket spud/sandwich fillings
- Wagamama's style chicken/noodle in a rich broth

Some alternative ways of cooking would be spatchcocking it & sticking on the BBQ (with marinade of choice) or covering with a marinade of yoghurt mixed with curry blend & roasting it.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 15-Apr-20 08:41:21

Piri piri roast chicken is popular in our house. I normally use the Hairy Bikers’ recipe, but I know Jamie has one too. I serve with coleslaw and sweet potato wedges.
Last summer I did this Moroccan roast realfood.tesco.com/recipes/moroccan-spiced-roast-chicken.html and served with couscous and vegetable tagine.
BBC Good Food have a recipe for Tandoori style which I can imagine would be lovely served with pilau rice and mango chutney.

TeddyIsaHe Wed 15-Apr-20 08:43:59

Spatchcock it (watch a YouTube video it’s really easy) and cover with a marinade of your choice. I like orange zest, chilli pasta, herbs oil and salt all whizzed up. Only takes about 40-50 mins to cook this way.

Serve with a big salad and flatbreads.

guineapig1 Wed 15-Apr-20 08:48:05

A kind of pilaf type dish. Brown the chicken then season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cumin/coriander/whatever spices you have and roast for 45 mins in a deep casserole. In the meantime saute onion and garlic. Then mix in long grain rice to the onion mix, pop under the chicken - add two cups of chicken stock and the juice and zest of a lemon if you have it. Cover tightly with foil, add casserole lid and cook until the chicken is done.
Easy and tasty. Serve with lentil dahl or veggie curry. Leftovers can be used for pasta bake/pie/wraps etc

Zinniasout Wed 15-Apr-20 08:53:12

Citrussy herby roast is lovely. I did one the other day. Marinade with loads of your favourite herbs, lots of lemon and lime zest and some honey and garlic paste, stirred into a mix of melted butter and olive oil. Coat the chicken with this, including some inside the cavity. Put half a lemon and lime each and sprigs of rosemary and thyme inside. Salt and ground pepper on top. Ideally then BBQ it inside a closed barbecue or cover loosely with foil and roast then take foil off and allow it to brown for the last half hour.

tinkywinkyshandbag Wed 15-Apr-20 09:27:01

Ooh some lovely ideas here thank you, my mouth is watering already! Will check the cupboards to see what we have and then decide. Thank you women of Mumsnet you never fail me.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »