Talk

Advanced search

Would you allow your child to eat ice-cream every day?

(12 Posts)
prufrock Thu 13-Sep-07 20:23:26

DD (5) has recently gone off yoghurts completely, which has been the normal post-tea desert in our house. But she loves ice-cream, and I have fallen in love with my new ice cream maker. So would it be very bad for her to have it every day? It's obviously not got any artificial crap, and often has fruit, and kids need calories don't they? So is a small portion of frozen cream, sugar, milk and egg yolks daily really such a bad thing?

prufrock Thu 13-Sep-07 20:24:58

Actually reading this back i know you are all going to say no. But I'm running out of freezer space, and she does so love it, and making my child lick her lips makes me feel like a really good mummy blush

oregonianabroad Thu 13-Sep-07 20:25:23

no, especially as you are making it yourself and can control the sugar content -- some yogs are full of the stuff.
Christ, I have ice cream almost every day. unless i am drinking wine, as i am now!

oregonianabroad Thu 13-Sep-07 20:26:28

i mean yes? Yes, I would allow dcs to eat it and no it isn't a bad thing.

southeatsastras Thu 13-Sep-07 20:27:48

yes yum

tissy Thu 13-Sep-07 20:31:32

my dd gets a small ice-cream cornet after school to keep her going till dinner time, but I'm afraid it's Sainsbury's raspberry ripple blush

SenoraPostrophe Thu 13-Sep-07 20:32:04

yum. yes I guess so (to the q in the title, not the q in the op - you really were asking people to disagree weren't you?)

I might need to test some of your ice cream in order to give you a proper answer though.

lomondgal Thu 13-Sep-07 20:32:52

If you are making it and know what is going into it then obviously that's not as bad as the crap you get in the supermarkets. Only you know what else she has eaten throughout the day and if it is a healthy varied diet it shouldn't do much harm.
The thing I would be worried about is her getting so used to it that she expects it all the time (when the novelty has worn off for you!)

SenoraPostrophe Thu 13-Sep-07 20:34:00

actually, much as home made is good, ice cream from supermarkets isn't all that bad.

lomondgal Thu 13-Sep-07 20:39:27

sorry, some of it is though not all. What I mean is the stuff in the supermarkets is likely to have more e numbers and artificial flavourings therefore it would be a definite no.

nappyaddict Thu 13-Sep-07 20:46:14

what about getting natural yoghurt which has no sugar or anything, mixing it with fruit and freezing it?

tissy Thu 13-Sep-07 20:46:38

luckily Sainsbury's organic ice cream has no e-numbers or artificial flavourings

prufrock, if I had an ice cream maker, it would be compulsory for my dd to eat the stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now