Talk

Advanced search

Am I sensible, or a Food Nazi?

(62 Posts)
BananaPudding Thu 13-Sep-07 19:24:25

We have recently come to live in a new town where we are staying with my SIL and her three children for a short while. All children take packed lunches to school.

The rule of the house is a sandwich, a capri sun and 3 choices of the "pantry snacks".

Pantry snacks currently include (all prepackaged):

Rice Crispie Treats
Assorted flavored crisps in small bags
Small bags of M&Ms
Small bags of a crisp called "Funyuns", vile onion-flavored cornmeal rounds
Nutter-Butter cookies
Very sweet granola bars which should be called candy
Cheese Nips
Ritz Cheese Sandwich crackers
Chocolate wafer cookie bar things

THREE things from that list in every lunchbox! I am stunned. No fruit in a lunchbox, ever.

I make dd's lunch after she goes to bed, and it contains varients of a peanut butter or ham sandwich, a piece of fruit, some sliced vegetable, a piece of cheese and a bottle of water. Sometimes yogurt instead of cheese.

DD says I am mean and give her sad lunches. Honestly, she never complained before as it never occurred to her that those things would go in lunches. I have compromised and said that on Fridays only she may have a capri sun instead of water, and one choice of the pantry snack list.

Sensible choices, or am I a mean Food Nazi? SIL thinks I am crazy.

BananaPudding Thu 13-Sep-07 19:25:45

Also am "mean" at breakfast when I make her eat eggs, french toast and fruit or the like instead of Froot Loops, Lucky Charms or Cocoa Puffs.

Lauriefairycake Thu 13-Sep-07 19:26:20

You are NOT a food nazi - much rather eat what you offered (can I come for lunch smile) ?

MaeWest Thu 13-Sep-07 19:26:29

The 'pantry snacks' sound pretty revolting. I'd say you're being sensible rather than the other option...

HuwEdwards Thu 13-Sep-07 19:28:11

I agre with you, I only give one 'snack'.

emkana Thu 13-Sep-07 19:28:17

My dd1 has lunches like your dd, but I do include one treat, say a choc biscuit or something. Just one though. Drink is juice and water mixed. Breakfast is porridge, oatiflakes or weetabix or sometimes weetos.

I think you are right in your choices, but you could maybe include one tiny little treat? I think your SIL is barking though.

welshmum Thu 13-Sep-07 19:28:28

No you are sensible, stick to your guns, the other stuff is all tat and teaches them to like rubbish. The odd treat is obviously fine and nothing should be banned but all that every day, nonsense, it's why so many kids are overweight.

I wouldn't put it quite liek that to your sil though grin

BobbyGrantycal Thu 13-Sep-07 19:29:26

cheese nips has tickled me

BananaPudding Thu 13-Sep-07 19:32:11

LOL Bobby, they are a little square cheese-flavoured cracker. Neon orange, obviously.

Thank you ladies. I am glad to know that I am not the crazy one.

Perhaps I will make some little homemade treat (of which I can pronounce the ingredients) to tuck in so she feels less deprived.

Twiglett Thu 13-Sep-07 19:33:10

I'd give her juice not capri sun <euwww>

and a treat daily .. make some cakes or biscuits to put in

don't think you're a food nazi, but you are quite possibly being a bit judgemental and ain't I superior at mothering

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 19:34:37

can i object to the use of the word nazi ?

totally inappropriate for talking about food

callmeovercautious Thu 13-Sep-07 19:35:06

Very sensible!

I guess you are in the US? The following story is not a slur on you it you are just an example of other daft people so you know your SIL is not the only one! Just coincidence she is American.

A friend of mine lives on a US airforce base. She loves the UK life but not the food. She will take her DD to Burger King for breakfast before Nursery most days as the Nursery (Private UK one near where we work) "only offer cereal, fruit and toast" Her DD is 3. The cereal is all no sugar/salt things and she says her DD won't eat the "English rubbish" hmm So Whopper and fries for breakfast is not rubbish?

BananaPudding Thu 13-Sep-07 19:35:53

Lulu, I apologize. I take your meaning.

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 19:36:36

thank you bananapudding

smile

callmeovercautious Thu 13-Sep-07 19:38:11

"it is a" not you blush sorry!

Am having a glass of wine!

Roseylea Thu 13-Sep-07 19:39:21

Bananapudding of course you are being sensible! smile

My dd gets a sandwich, a piece of fresh fruit, a yogurt / cheese squares (cut from a big block of cheddar), , a bottle of water and a portion of dried fruit or some veggie sticks for lunch. Sometimes as a treat she gets homemade flapjacks (small squares) and we sometimes make homemade biscuits (not every week though) which she has after school. (She has food allergies which make buying biscuits etc impossible).

So yes of course you give your dc the best food for them. It's hard when other parents are giving their dc stuff that is brightly packaged / attractive looking, and you feel like the only one saying "no", but you have to draw your boundaries somewhere.

emkana Thu 13-Sep-07 19:43:48

lulumama thank you

I thought about saying something about the choice of words but I didn't want to be the uptight German...

Desiderata Thu 13-Sep-07 19:43:59

Hmm, well I think you're a little OTT on the healthy eating.

Personally, I'd prefer it if all children had a hot, cooked lunch at school, but if that isn't an option, than I'd plump for the middle-ground.

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 19:45:56

<<EMkana.. i didn;t want to be the uptight Jewish poster ! but i also strongly object to the use of the word in relation to anything other than its historical context >>

beansprout Thu 13-Sep-07 19:47:36

You are being sensible. We are facing an epidemic of childhood obesity - surely not feeding them crap is not something you should have to defend?!

BananaPudding Thu 13-Sep-07 19:48:45

I am quite embarrassed now to have thoughtlessly used that word in that way, please do accept my apologies Emkana. sad

Desiderata, I agree a hot lunch would be best. However, the Texas version of a hot lunch is either fried chicken nuggets, a fried corndog, a gross thing called bbq on a bun etc. with chips and sweet corn. It's all fried (Seriously, Texans fry everything. They have even managed fried coca-cola) and veggies are scarce.

gringottsgoblin Thu 13-Sep-07 19:49:33

you cant give in cos your kids prefer the look of someone elses lunch. at our old school ds1s friend had 2 bags of crisps and 2 chocolate bars for lunch every day so he thought i was incredibly mean that he didnt even get one of each all the time. i do try to put something interesting in several times a week tho (we currently have doctor who frubes). if she wants capri sun couldnt you give her the 100% apple juice ones? she wont realise the difference

lulumama Thu 13-Sep-07 19:50:29

fried coca cola !! that sounds, scientific !!

beansprout Thu 13-Sep-07 19:50:29

Wo, how can CocaCola be fried?!! That is almost impressive!!

Othersideofthechannel Thu 13-Sep-07 19:50:39

Ooh, please tell me what a corn dog is. Lynette Scavo mentioned them once on desperate housewives and I have wondered every since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now