Talk

Advanced search

Excess shopping order- ideas?

(10 Posts)
Butterer Mon 13-Apr-20 17:33:20

No idea how, but I managed to order three bags of carrots/heads of celery/lots of onions and tubs of double cream.

I live alone - I've asked neighbours if they want my extras but they don't.

I am a bit stumped as how to use them up - could I just make a load of sofritto (?) and freeze it? Should I fry it first, or can I just freeze chopped stuff straight off?

Is cream freezeable? confused I only use it in soups and porridge, and don't eat puddings (I'm diabetic). I don't have any soft fruit in, and won't be getting another shop til next week..

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Aurorie11 Mon 13-Apr-20 17:35:21

With the cream whip it first and then freeze

HappyHammy Mon 13-Apr-20 17:38:50

Can you advertise it on your local covid suppirt site. We have a local group where we just leave unused food out for collection.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 13-Apr-20 17:45:23

Yes to freezing soffritto - it would be absolutely fine.

Could you use some of the cream in a risotto?

Maybe make a big pan of soup with the vege, and freeze some? The unfrozen stuff would do for lunches for a few days.

A quick google showed cream frozen in ice cube trays - you could just pop a couple into your porridge each day!

handbagsatdawn33 Mon 13-Apr-20 19:26:40

Lightbulb moment !

I've never thought of freezing soffritto, but I will now.

Thanks @Butterer & @RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie

Blondie1984 Tue 14-Apr-20 02:55:25

Make ice cream?

Gingerkittykat Tue 14-Apr-20 02:58:36

You could make some butter with the double cream and freeze it and use the buttermilk to make scones.

dyscalculicgal96 Tue 14-Apr-20 21:03:26

Do you have a pantry or freezer or not?
If so, you can keep the extra foodstuff in there. You can use the cream to make butter and make some tasty scones with the excess buttermilk. Additionally you can spice up a boring soup with the excess vegetables. Ice cream sounds nice too.

Butterer Tue 14-Apr-20 21:29:18

Thank you all for the suggestions!
My local C19 mutual aid groups are all Facebook based, and I'm not on Facebook/really don't want to sign up to it. So..

I am making MASSIVE batches of sofritto for the freezer (I don't have a larder); I would have done scones or risotto cos I used to love them, but I think my blood sugar wouldn't forgive me for the flour or rice overload sad

I've got some xylitol sugar substitute which is ok in the cupboard, plenty of eggs and milk.. if I can find some vanilla I'm sorted for trying to make ice cream! I am ridiculously excited about it being a possibility.
Also liking the idea of making butter grin

Thanks again all!

OP’s posts: |
AdaColeman Tue 14-Apr-20 21:31:06

Soffritto freezes well, no need to cook it first.

You could make potage Crecy, cream of carrot soup which would use some of the cream. Or make a creamy chowder, sweet corn or smoked haddock perhaps? Other creamy soup ideas are mushroom or potato & leek.
Quiche is another dish needing cream, perhaps bacon or broccoli, or make a chicken pie, or creamy Chicken Supreme to serve with rice?
Cream usually has a long shelf life, so with a bit of planning you won’t need to waste it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »