Talk

Advanced search

Bacon/potato/onion/ layer bake recipe needed

(16 Posts)
grannyslippers Thu 13-Sep-07 15:43:28

I've never cooked this myself but had it from time to time at other people's houses

That kind of thing where you layer bacon/cheese/potato/onions pour over some kind of sauce and bake it in the oven for a cheap supper

I'd be very grateful for a recipe or some sort of quantities/method, I can't find anything in my books but it's not really a recipe book kind of dish

thanks, GS

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 15:48:35

if you look for gratin dauphinois or potato gratin online or in your cookbooks, it will give you a basic technique for it. That doesn't traditionally have the bacon in but if you want it, it's easily added.

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 15:50:08

you'd need some cream in though

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 15:50:47

and being a frenchie i would say garlic too smile

grannyslippers Thu 13-Sep-07 16:33:19

Thanks I just have time to make that for supper now.

aDad were you the Corsica-o-phile? we are off there on Sun., took up your recommendation of Residence Isula, thanks v. much.

Just wondering what to cook when out there that the children will eat, or will 2 weeks of cheese and croissants really do them any harm?

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 16:44:42

Yes it was me.

ooh excited for you, it really was fab - the mini-villas and their outdoor space is much nicer than the photos online, and a 5 minute walk to a really safe large beach.

Foodwise - you have a barbecue outside. Also a couple of minutes walk away there is a campsite with a perfectly nice restaurant, which also has a wood-fired pizza oven. You can get take-aways from there.

Also the owners will get bread and croissants in if you order what you want the night before. V handy!

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 16:47:08

And September is so nice - the med seemed really warm back in June, so now it will be positively bath-like.

grannyslippers Thu 13-Sep-07 16:51:58

Yes, the owner has offered to get us in a few provisions as we are arriving Sunday when all the shops are shut. We are excited too, this is first proper holiday for years. grin

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 17:00:55

Terrific grannyslippers, I'm trying not to big it up too much, but we had such a lovely time there. And it was really peaceful and quiet. I'm sure you will love it.

The weather in Porto Vecchio for the next 5 days is 29 to 31 degrees and sunny. Looking good!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 13-Sep-07 17:02:57

Message withdrawn

grannyslippers Thu 13-Sep-07 17:16:59

iCod (er, ma'am) it is heavenly

Mountains and loads of walking, but Mediterranean weather, unspoilt, beaches, lovely little towns and a really laid back atmosphere.

Bit like a cross between Western Scotland and Ireland, but at the latitude of Italy. Drivers are certainly like Ireland.

DH is a keen walker we are only allowed to go on holiday to places with mountains, that is how we stumbled across Corsica.

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 17:47:44

Yep corsica itself just as GS says really, and now much easier and cheaper to get to (3 airports) and in not much time.

These villas are in tiny place called pinarellu - big horseshoe type bay in the south-west, near porto vecchio.

Not high-end luxury villas but nice enough and when you spend all your time on the terrace doesn't matter to me - there are about 20 set in shady gardens around nice pool.

Family-run, can book direct with them or get villa/flight/car deal through Corsican Places.

Peace and quiet, lots of space to yourself on the beach. Water is turquoise and inviting. I'd go again at the drop of a hat.

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 17:50:24

I suppose if you wanted kids clubs or anything like that, it's not that type of place, but at the other end of the bay you can do watersporty type stuff. 4 or 5 minute drive away, and also v nice places to eat.

aDad Thu 13-Sep-07 17:53:36

Residence Isula. As I said the photos online really dont do it any favours.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 13-Sep-07 18:34:14

Message withdrawn

aDad Fri 14-Sep-07 08:10:15

2 sizes of villa, the larger has one double bedroom, one large mezzanine with 2 beds in, and downstairs the sofa is a double sofa bed, so you'd have to use that. Do-able i think though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now