Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with Mascarpone?? Got 2 tubs to use up!!

(15 Posts)
daisycat01 Thu 13-Sep-07 14:06:48

Had the girls round for dinner last night and when I went to the supermarket I wasnt entirley sure what to cook, so threw a selection of stuff into the trolley. I now have 2 tubs of mascarpone. I was thining about using it in a pasta or risotto dish. I have used it before in desserts, just wanted to try it out in a main dinner!!
Any ideas????
TIA
grin

funnypeculiar Thu 13-Sep-07 14:07:53

um, tomato & mascapone tomato sauce for pasta - just make normal tomato sauce - perhaps with some bacon & stick mascopone in at end.
Yum

littlelapin Thu 13-Sep-07 14:08:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

policywonk Thu 13-Sep-07 14:09:08

I predict that this will take on a similar profile to the Nutella thread.

<inhales a cubic litre of mascarpone>

ComeOVeneer Thu 13-Sep-07 14:09:54

Brown some prosciutto in oil. Remove from heat and stir in garlic. Add 2 tin tomatoes and simmer until most of the liquid is gone (about 20-30 minutes). Cook pasta (eg Penne). Just before serving, stir mascarpone cheese into tomatoes and mix thoroughly.

newlifenewname Thu 13-Sep-07 14:09:55

mix with fruit compote

fruittea Thu 13-Sep-07 14:10:02

Makes a great, very easy fish pie, layer fish with a half mascarpone/half creme fraiche mixture (with some seasoning and a teaspoon of cornflour mixed in) then cheesy mash, and bake for 50 mins.

Also a great icing - mix 250g with 150g icing sugar and flavour to taste (eg coffee for coffee cake, cinnamon for apple cake)

Skribble Thu 13-Sep-07 14:10:22

Cheesecake grin

Tomato sauce

fruittea Thu 13-Sep-07 14:11:24

oooh, and tiramisu, obv smile

MaureenMLove Thu 13-Sep-07 14:12:13

Mascarpone cheese cake.

2 tubs of mascarpone (thats handy grin)
juice and zest of 2 citrus fruits
4 oz of icing sugar

Mix it all up and put onto a biscuit base in a loose bottoms tin. In the fridge to chill for 2 hours - job done!

ComeOVeneer Thu 13-Sep-07 14:14:19

For 4 people

4 plaice fillets
1/2 lb. fresh crabmeat
Mascarpone cheese
Dash of dry white wine
Dash of nutmeg
Double cream

In a bowl, mix crabmeat and cheese. Add white wine, a little at a time. Don't let it get too wet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a couple of tablespoons crab mixture on each fillet and roll (do not let crabmeat fall out) and seal with toothpicks. Place fillets in casserole and cover with double cream. Bake for 20 minutes or until flaky. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve with french bread and salad.

Anna8888 Thu 13-Sep-07 14:16:51

Tiramisu

500 g of mascarpone
5 large fresh eggs, separated
5 tablespoons caster sugar
1 large packet of lady fingers (best quality)
freshly made espresso coffee
brandy, Marsala or another alcohol
cocoa powder

Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl with an electric hand whisk until very thick and creamy. Beat in the mascarpone.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the yolk and mascarpone mixture.

Dip lady fingers in espresso and put a layer in the bottom of a glass dish. Put in a layer of the mascarpone cream. Put in a layer of lady fingers dipped in alcohol, followed by another layer of cream. Repeat, finishing with a layer of cream.

Chill in refrigerator for at least four hours. Before serving, sprinkle a little cocoa powder through a sieve to decorate the top of the pudding.

daisycat01 Thu 13-Sep-07 14:19:40

Thanks!!
I am sure I have eaten it mixed into pasta with chicken b4....
Is it quite fattening.....blush

SpawnChorus Thu 13-Sep-07 14:28:25

Sausage pasta:

Put some orecchiette pasta on the boil.

Fry about 6 good quality sausages and chop into 1 inch pieces.

Mix mascarpone (smallish tub) with some dijon mustard (I use a large teaspoon) and a couple of tablespoons of milk. Season with pepper (and salt if you want).

Chop up a small bunch of parsley.

Mix pasta, sausages, parsley and mascarpone sauce together over the heat for a min or 2.

Squiffy Thu 13-Sep-07 15:00:25

Best breakfast ever - a pancake stack made with crispy bacon, maple syrup and mascapone... can't think of a better way to fur up my heart valves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now