Talk

Advanced search

Green potatoes- anything I can do with them?

(7 Posts)
morecoffeerequired Sat 11-Apr-20 11:03:16

Potatoes are related to deadly nightshade. I wouldn't eat green potatoes, even with the green bits cut off. The cyanide will be all the way through.

Plant them in the garden.

Spam88 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:56:53

Most of the toxin concentrated in the skin, so just peel them and crack on. Even if you ate the skins, you'd have to eat an awful lot to make yourself ill.

Enb76 Sat 11-Apr-20 09:46:04

If you want to have potatoes that last a long time buy ones that are still covered in dirt and store them somewhere cool and dark.

meonekton Sat 11-Apr-20 09:42:47

We had the same problem yesterday with new potatoes. My son planted them in the garden in pots.

I did try to cut the green bit off, but thought it's too risky at this time.

nettie434, thank you, I didn't know that. Will make sure it's covered from now on.

nettie434 Sat 11-Apr-20 03:55:31

You could try peeling them to see how green they are - you might get away with it if is is just surface green but I wouldn’t risk it. And that is from someone who has used vintage 2019 chick peas and risotto rice in last few weeks. It’s The light that turns them green so when you get some more it’s a good idea to keep them in a brown bag

WhiteRumFizzyPop Sat 11-Apr-20 03:50:01

Grow new ones!

JontyDoggle37 Sat 11-Apr-20 03:47:25

DH bought two bags of potatoes and I’ve just found that 3/4 of both bags are green! I’ve always been told not to eat green potatoes, so now we’ve got hardly any. I don’t want to waste them - is there anything I can use them for?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in