Talk

Advanced search

SR flour/Plain flour

(9 Posts)
stoprainingffs Thu 09-Apr-20 13:54:30

Hi all, I have loads of SR flour but have run out of plain. Anyone know if I can make a roux (e.g. for a cheese sauce) with SR flour?

0blio Thu 09-Apr-20 13:57:14

Yes I've always used SR in the past to make sauces. Of course now I only have plain flour in my cupboard I'm craving cake smile

Fithles Thu 09-Apr-20 13:59:15

Oblio just add baking powder - ta da! You have SR flour! smile

mooboy Thu 09-Apr-20 14:00:08

No idea but adjust for salt - raising agents in self-raising flour will make it taste more salty.

stoprainingffs Thu 09-Apr-20 14:58:26

Thanks all! Good point about the salt mooboy, thanks!

0blio Thu 09-Apr-20 18:19:16

Thanks Fithles, I'll see if I can get some.

Bluebooby Thu 09-Apr-20 18:20:13

I'm jealous op! I haven't been able to get either plan or self raising flour since the coronafiasco began!

EnglishGirlApproximately Thu 09-Apr-20 18:24:47

bluebooby I was in the same boat and moaning about not being able to get baking stuff. Two days ago my neighbour who I only know in passing knocked on the door asking if I would like anything as he has a cafe and lots of stuff about to go to waste. I know have about 5kg of SR flour and two dozen eggs. I think we're now the best fed street around he's been around every house giving out food!

stoprainingffs Thu 09-Apr-20 18:45:58

Bluebooby I only have so much because I’m rubbish at remembering what I have in the cupboard, so when I decide to bake, I buy a bag of SR flour because I forget I already have it. hmm I’m a muppet grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »