Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ok, dinner party for 3 veggies, 3 omnivores. Ideas???

(26 Posts)
mumblechum Wed 12-Sep-07 14:06:27

Having two other couples round on Sat night. I know I could just make a fish dish for everyone, eg bouillabaise, but one of the veggie's wives loves meat, and dh and I would be happy eating anything.

I know millions of good meat/chicken recipes and am thinking of making two main courses, one meat and one either fish or vegetarian.

Does anyone know any impressive veggie recipes which I can prepare in advance so just bung in the oven at the appropriate time?

Starter will prob be v. simple, roast half red pepper filled with cherry toms on vine, fresh basil & little chopped anchovy, olive oil & roasted for half an hour or so.

Will just buy nice pud from Waitrose.

Twiglett Wed 12-Sep-07 14:06:58

let the omnivores eat the veggies grin

Twiglett Wed 12-Sep-07 14:08:18

you could do a curry evening .. and do some meat and some veggie .. that can all be done before

although with that kind of starter maybe chilli instead?

veggie lasagne springs to mind (spinach and mushroom one) .. although might be a bit dull

mumblechum Wed 12-Sep-07 14:08:24

grin Twig

strawberry Wed 12-Sep-07 14:08:24

Stroganoff? One with meat and one with mushrooms

moopymoo Wed 12-Sep-07 14:08:53

aubergine parmigiana always goes down well here. not very original but very bung in ovenable.

curiouscat Wed 12-Sep-07 14:09:23

What's a veggie doing eating fish anyway? Just wondering, sorry can't offer anything constructive.

Twiglett Wed 12-Sep-07 14:11:03

I like this roast veg couscous salad

Twiglett Wed 12-Sep-07 14:11:33

this halloumi is rather fab too

Blu Wed 12-Sep-07 14:12:20

That's a nice mediterranean-ish starter - what about a nice risotto to follow - lemon, or saffron for the veggies, but divide at some stage in the cooking and transmogrify half into chicken risotto? With a fab salad involving artichoke hearts or something beyond lettuce and toms? Or a spicy cous cous dish which has the spicy veg stew...and some merguez sausages on the side (as they would be, in authntic fashion) for the omnivores?

I would just do the whole thing veggie, myself.

Mung Wed 12-Sep-07 14:12:23

this recipee always goes down well. You can add the Pancetta to the non-veggie's plates and adapt the cooking of the squash a bit to make it fine for the veggies. Its quite time consuming though at the last minute with all the stiring.

Twiglett Wed 12-Sep-07 14:13:56

<makes plans to come over to Blu's for dinner one day>

primigravida Wed 12-Sep-07 14:14:04

I would do a vegetarian lasagne with some yummy bread and a salad as you can make everything in advance and everyone likes lasagne. That's what I'm making tonight for our veggie and omnivore guests. Let me know if you'd like my vegetarian lasagne recipe, it's very easy.

mumblechum Wed 12-Sep-07 14:14:05

Ooh, I've made Delia's Halloumi thing before and it's well yummy.

Also the Couscous thing would work, as I could do a Moroccan lamb thing and also a vegetable thing which would both work with couscous.

I really want to go to Marrakesh and eat loads of Moroccan food right this minute.

Thanks everyone!

mumblechum Wed 12-Sep-07 14:14:36

Woah, I can't keep up!

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:17:30

depends what kind of dinner
if a friendly get together, I always do delia's spinach and ricotta lasagne.
Meat eater always comment on how it is lovely

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:18:01

can make in advance and re-heat too

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:18:55

you need 'nice bread' too

sundew Wed 12-Sep-07 14:19:04

I make a fab lentil lasagne (using puy lentils - not the nasty orange ones which turn to mush) - in my humble opinion much nicer than the meet version. If you want to have some meet - why not have an italian style starter - lots of ham / cured meat with lots of slad / roasted veg for the veggies.

Why cook two things - sounds like a lot of hard work to me.

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:19:52

delia's spinach and ricotta lasgane

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:21:08

Just to add - it says it serves 4-6. I would say 4 and that is if you are making something to accompany it too.

I always finds the portions quotedby Delia to be minute

Roskva Wed 12-Sep-07 14:22:01

I second Delia's lasagne - I made for a mixed group of veggies and carnivores, and a carnivore asked for the recipe!

BobbyGrantycal Wed 12-Sep-07 14:27:11

It's good isn't it. Reminded me to make it more for 'normal' dinners rather than just when People Come Round!

Mung Wed 12-Sep-07 14:28:54

I love that lasagne too. It also freezes well, so left overs can be kept for another time. In fact that was what I had for dinner last night.

Roskva Wed 12-Sep-07 14:34:27

You get leftovers from it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now