Talk

Advanced search

Eggless Pancakes!

(8 Posts)
CoralFish Mon 30-Mar-20 09:31:42

Huge first world problem, but the milkman has not bought our eggs for the past two weeks. We are well stocked on plenty of other food items so I would feel guilty going to the shop just for eggs. However, I have just discovered that I can make pancakes out of aquafaba (aka chickpea water)! Very happy with this discovery as chickpeas are a big protein source for us, and you can also keep the aquafaba in the fridge or freeze it, so no need for too much advance planning on when to have chickpeas/pancakes.

OP’s posts: |
CoralFish Mon 30-Mar-20 09:36:39

*brought

RandomMess Mon 30-Mar-20 09:37:40

There are various vegan pancake recipes out there! So can have pancakes without egg or milk...

silverbubbles Mon 30-Mar-20 09:39:40

Gwyneth does some good ones using cottage cheese. google those.

motherofawhirlwind Mon 30-Mar-20 09:41:35

Which recipe did you use?

CoralFish Mon 30-Mar-20 10:13:07

This recipe.

But I used powdered cow milk instead of soy, as I am not vegan and that is what I had.

Incidentally, if anyone knows anywhere to buy powdered almond milk, I have been on the hunt for that for a while - not sure whether it actually exists, and probably not looking to order any anyway until lockdown is over.

lborgia Mon 30-Mar-20 22:38:14

@CoralFish - there are some real issues with aquafaba, have a quick Google.

No harm in doing it occasionally, but I wouldn't be using it often. Doesn't sound as if you have been, but thought I'd mention.

Essentially, the water contains a lot of the phytic acid from legumes, and it binds with vitamins and minerals and stops them being absorbed.

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 30-Mar-20 23:58:17

DD is vegan. I make a batter with whatever vegan milk she has in, flour and a tspn of gram flour. It makes lovely pancakes and acceptable Yorkshire pudding too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »