Talk

Advanced search

Apple and berries - cake recipe?

(8 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Sun 29-Mar-20 17:00:02

Got a wrinkly apple and a couple of handfuls of frozen berries and would like to make some kind of sponge cake effort to have with custard....

Any recipes or tips? I'm a very competent cook but not much of a baker!

GatoFofo Sun 29-Mar-20 17:02:14

Make a sponge mix and add diced apple and berries. Crumble mix on top (optional) and bake in a flat square tray. Cut into squares and eat with custard smile

Dumpyandabdabs Sun 29-Mar-20 17:09:11

Eve's pudding! Chop up your apple and mix with your berries and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. Pop that into an oven proof dish. Make a vanilla sponge, I'd say 150g butter and sugar creamed together, measure out 150g self raising flour and crack 3 eggs into a jug. Add one egg at a time with a spoonful of flour and fold through the mix. Fold in the rest of the flour with half a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Spread the cake mix over the fruit and bake in an oven at around 160 degrees Celsius until springy to the touch and golden.

Lordfrontpaw Sun 29-Mar-20 17:10:52

I’d make muffins. Unless you have a manky banana then I’d use that and the fruit to make a cinnamon loaf.

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:18:32

Sorry for old weights but a basic sponge is

2 eggs, 4oz SR flour, 4oz caster sugar, 4oz butter.

Another idea would be flapjack, just slice the fruit, make up a flapjack mix, half on the bottom, spoon on the fruit, then the other half of the mix on top. It goes kind of jammy in the middle of the flapjack.

I use the 2,4,6,8 oz recipe

Golden syrup, Demerara sugar, butter, oats respectively then about 20mins on gas 4.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 29-Mar-20 17:45:24

It's in! Went with the Eve's pudding approach - fingers crossed!

Lordfrontpaw Sun 29-Mar-20 19:01:29

Mmmmm - one of my favourites!

Dumpyandabdabs Tue 31-Mar-20 21:49:30

Hope it was tasty smile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »