Talk

Advanced search

what can I make with ground linseed?

(10 Posts)
SluggishSnail Sat 28-Mar-20 19:15:57

It's a Lidl product: linseed with sesame, cranberry and blueberry. It's ground quite fine, coarser than flour, more like sugar. Not sweet as such but a hint of fruit. I've got a whole unopened bag.

I feel like it must be possible to make some sort of cake or biscuits with it, but I don't have any flour. I have eggs, sugar and butter. And honey.

Any suggestions, or even better a recipe?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
handbagsatdawn33 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:18:15

Have you looked on Lidl website?
Or tried Googling it?

Ironfloor269 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:18:24

I add linseed to overnight oats to bulk it up. I'm diabetic so I add raisins, almonds and linseed but no sugar. By morning, it takes up a pudding-y texture which I love.

LaganBubbleCruises Sun 29-Mar-20 08:25:36

I don't think you can use it is a flour substitute. You can add it to a biscuit mixture or bread to add fibre but it wouldn't work on its own. Maybe you could make energy balls. I usually sprinkle it over cereal or porridge I think if you have too much it can have a laxative effect. You can also use it as an egg replacement (one tbsp to 2-3tbsp water) in
baking but that's good for you if you haven't got any flour.

Ricekrispie22 Sun 29-Mar-20 12:20:22

Ground linseed is the same as flax.
You can make it into flapjacks thelinseedfarm.co.uk/recipes-using-flaxseed-linseed-oil/2013/09/flapjack-recipe

Haveitheright Sun 29-Mar-20 17:40:19

I just eat it in yogurt but have also made paleo ‘bread’ with it but only the plain kind, not with berries in it. I did once make some crackers but it was a total faff.

www.flaxfarm.co.uk/recipe/simple-flax-bread/

There are 77 recipes here

allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/tag-7840/linseed-recipes.aspx

SluggishSnail Mon 30-Mar-20 17:52:39

Thanks - very useful comments and links.

OP’s posts: |
BruceAndNosh Mon 30-Mar-20 17:55:53

I sprinkle ground flaxseed (and other stuff) mix on porridge.
Add it to stuffing.
Mix with breadcrumbs and olive oil to make a crust for baking fish.
Add to fruit crumble topping.

SegregateMumBev Mon 30-Mar-20 17:58:04

Sprinkle on salads or scrambled egg
Add to muffins or bread or crackers or biscuits
Use in home made granola, or stir into yoghurt

TemoraryUsername Mon 30-Mar-20 17:59:54

Linseed can be had to replace the egg in recipes - so maybe try searching for vegan cookie recipes?

I had a bag of it but didn't like it as breakfast topper. I think I used it up hidden in Jack monroe's peanut butter and jam granola recipe!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »