Talk

Advanced search

What can i feed a 10 month old?

(6 Posts)
Kelz83 Mon 10-Sep-07 12:52:49

Im new to all this baby stuff, i started with the cans of baby food n ive started giving my boy nearly all what we eat but wha can he have or cant have cos i get different advise from different health workers n doctors. Plus can he have cows milk yet cos i was trold he could by 6 months?!?!? help please xx

bubblagirl Mon 10-Sep-07 13:03:25

you can introduce cows milk from 6 mths i didn't untill my ds was a yr but i did with his cereal just not drinking

he can eat anything i gave my ds anything we had slightly blitzed so still had some lumps for him to work on if you google recipes for babies i found some really helpful recipres for each age cow and gate had good recipe site also

MrsBadger Mon 10-Sep-07 13:07:58

he can have just about everything you're eating except
honey
whole nuts
chokey things like whole grapes (cut them in half)
shellfish
anything with added salt (eg jar sauces, ready meals, processed foods)

he can have cow's milk in food, but not as a main drink till he's 1.

Roskva Mon 10-Sep-07 13:10:46

The things I was advised to avoid were:
nuts
honey (until 12 months)
anything salty
soft boiled eggs

If you give cows milk, it should be full fat.

Since she got the hang of chewing, dd gets pretty much what we have - I figure the sooner she gets used to what we eat, the better. There can't be too many babies out there getting fillet steak and duck (mushed) grin. I mush it, but I'm gradually leaving bigger lumps in things for her to chew. She also loves slices of fruit: nectarines are her favourite. At first she just squidged them around in her hands (be prepared for mess), but now more goes in her than down her front. It's up to you whether you want to spoon feed or let her self feed everything. I spoon feed dd, but I give her something at each meal she can feed herself with.

Some folk will probably lynch me for saying this, but jars of baby food for the appopriate age can be useful, especially when you're out and about (no worries about keeping things cold until you want them!), so if you want to used those, don't feel guilty about it. But they do all taste the same imo, so offer a limited range of new tastes.

I'm a first time mum too, so it has been a bit of learning curve! At the end of the day, trust your instincts.

Roskva Mon 10-Sep-07 13:11:28

Oh, and there is a really helpful recipe book by Annabel Karmel. She also has a website, I think.

Kelz83 Mon 10-Sep-07 17:40:04

Thanks for that, has helped alot

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: