Talk

Advanced search

How many grams of lentils should I use in place of 250g of mince?

(9 Posts)
UserDeleted Thu 19-Mar-20 16:22:56

I'm guessing not 250g grams! That seems like way too many lentils.

Trying to make meat go further so hoping I can split my 750g of beef mince into 3 and get 3 meals from it.

Was going to make a bolognese but need lentil help, pretty please.

OP’s posts: |
Finfintytint Thu 19-Mar-20 16:26:30

I would unscientificly guess about half a cup.

CharlieTangoBanana Thu 19-Mar-20 16:31:09

Vegan here, 1 cup of lentils (dry) will yield 2 portions so using a half and half mix would give you 4 portions.
Rinse your lentils in plenty of cold water, simmer them in some veg stock and season them really well, they don't have a lot of flavour on their own. Green lentils are my favourite go to for shepherds pie and spaghetti Bol. Let me know how it turns out💐

Hazelnutlatteplease Thu 19-Mar-20 16:31:15

About 30g a person if your adding a fair amount of veg otherwise a bit more

TheGoatIsHere Thu 19-Mar-20 16:33:27

I made a chilli last week - 500g mince and 1 mug of red lentils. So PP guess of 1/2 mug is about right. Keep on eye on liquid level - those lentils soak it up so will need to add extra compared to a meat only recipe.

timeforanewjob Thu 19-Mar-20 16:35:36

Agree, I've added one cup to 500g mince, plus some courgettes and carrots for my spag bol.

5zeds Thu 19-Mar-20 16:37:14

They puff up a bit but not that much, so maybe double in size at best. I’d do half the volume of your mince.

UserDeleted Thu 19-Mar-20 16:58:12

Thanks! You've all saved dinner. grin
Now just hoping no-one notices. Though tough luck if they do!

OP’s posts: |
LaganBubbleCruises Fri 20-Mar-20 07:10:02

Red lentils are much easier to hide than green if you have fussy eaters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »