Talk

Advanced search

At what age can I give ds meals with sauces from jars?

(24 Posts)
GreebosWhiskers Fri 07-Sep-07 12:41:06

10mo ds loves his food & will happily eat whatever crosses his path. I don't have the time or inclination to faff about making my own sauces so what age can he start having normal family meals eg bolognese with dolmio sauce or veggie korma with fresh veggies & jarred sauce?

TIA

ruddynorah Fri 07-Sep-07 12:44:18

not until he's past a year old or even older. those sauces tend to contain a huge amount of salt as well as various other ingredients which aren't ideal for a small child.

if i were you, for the benefit of your baby as well as your family i would look at easy quick meals you can make from scratch. it's not so hard to make bolgnaise with a tin of tomatoes or passata then sprinkle in some herbs, rather than using dolmio.

KTeePee Fri 07-Sep-07 12:44:35

Don't know but....

instead of dolmio, you could just use a tin of tomatoes and a large dollop of tomato puree - it really is no faff at all. I used to use jars quite a bit before but have now got jar-free recipes for most things I used to make with jars, happy to post them if you want...

Brangelina Fri 07-Sep-07 12:49:07

And you could even make a big batch of sauce and freeze it in portions for use whenever you need it. This is what I do as often I have max 10mins to prepare DD's dinner when I get in from work, I just get it out of the freezer and into the microwave, less time than it takes to open a jar.

GreebosWhiskers Fri 07-Sep-07 12:49:32

KTeePee - I'd love some recipes for easy sauces. I have tried to make my own when dd3 was small (Annabel Karmel & Lorainne Kelly recipes) but dd3 wouldn't even eat them never mind the rest of the familyblush

Thanks for the advice folks.

dissle Fri 07-Sep-07 12:51:21

i think that it is the salt content in them that is not good.
i make my own in a HUGE pan and freeze it in plastic pots, i can get about 6 meals out of my tomy sauce.
tins toms, tomy puree, i fry up a couple of onions and to be sneaky i steam a load of brocilli and carrot then shove it all in the pan, liquidize and bung it in the freezer.
tis good with all kinds of pasta and they all love it.
you could just bung in some frozen vegies, they all liquidise brill.

Brangelina Fri 07-Sep-07 12:53:13

Annabel Karmel recipes are poogrin, my DD wouldn't eat them either, and she normally loves her food

KTeePee Fri 07-Sep-07 14:24:54

What do you need recipes for? Just spag bol and curry?

GreebosWhiskers Fri 07-Sep-07 14:28:02

Spag bol & curry would be fabgrin

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 14:28:17

Message withdrawn

Aitch Fri 07-Sep-07 14:28:35

spag bol

KTeePee Fri 07-Sep-07 14:41:07

Right, curry - I use this for a chicken curry but I'm sure it would be ok with veg too:

Slice a couple of onions and fry until soft. Add some crushed garlic and grated root ginger (I use ginger from a jar and garlic from a tube if I haven't got any fresh...). Stir in about 4 tablespoons of curry paste to whatever heat you like (I use ready made but you could probably make your own) and fry for 1 min. Add whatever veg you like then our in a tin of chopped tomatoes and about 300ml of stock. I use home-made chicken stock which gives a better flavour imo but if you want to use stock cubes you can get a low-salt veggie one.

For spag bol I base mine on a Jamie Oliver recipe.

Fry about 5 slices of pancetta or 2/3 of streaky bacon with a handful of chopped rosemary until golden. Add a chopped onion and 3 crushed cloves garlic. Fry until softened. Add beef mince and fry until brown. Add 1 glass red wine, teaspoon dried oregano. Then add a tin of tomatoes and half a jar of tomato puree. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a hour or so.

You could leave out the pancetta & rosemary if your famiy doesn't like it but I think it makes it taste better, same with the red wine.

HTH!

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 14:41:39

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 14:41:43

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Fri 07-Sep-07 14:41:58

Message withdrawn

KTeePee Fri 07-Sep-07 14:43:07

No, but it really does taste better (imo of course!)

Aitch Fri 07-Sep-07 14:53:17

i don't really understand jars, though. you still have to fry the onion and garlic, cut up the veg, brown the meat etc.
surely for a curry it's just yog and spices to add and tomatoes and booze to spaghetti?

Habbibu Fri 07-Sep-07 14:53:34

Lazy lazy lovely sauce: Oven on hottish, bung veg in big rough chunks in a dish - I use onions, courgettes, garlic cloves, courgettes, squash, peppers, mushrooms, blah blah. Whole tinned tomatoes (drain and reserve juice). Splash of olive oil, roast for maybe 35-40 mins - put in blender, add juice, blend to however chunky you like it, and then heat in pan if necessary. My 10 month old loves this on pasta with some philly stirred in. Freezes brilliantly, and great when I can't be arsed chopping finely...

Aitch Fri 07-Sep-07 14:56:01

exactly habbibu. or just fling some small toms and garlic with loads of olive oil in a medium oven for 40 mins, take out, mix with some fresh basil and maybe a splash more oil and perhaps balsamic if you're feeling frisky and voila, a pasta sauce.

GreebosWhiskers Fri 07-Sep-07 15:06:17

Cod - I'm Mning obvwink

Thanks for the recipes folks - they sound lovely. With any luck even dd3 (who won't eat anything cooked) might give them a try.

Will let you know how they go down

Aitch Fri 07-Sep-07 15:09:12

good luck, greebo!

HonoriaGlossop Fri 07-Sep-07 15:16:27

Habbibu that roasted veg sauce sounds genius! Thanks for that, will try!

I agree with the concensus by the way greebos, it really, really is easy and quick to make your own sauces and so much better for everyone. I work five days a week now but I cook from scratch and I'm not saying that to be smug, because if I can do it, anyone can, really! DS has an early bedtime and as I say I work but it's do-able. And really healthy for everyone.

what keeps me doing it is realising how I use three, four ingredients or so and then the equivalent bought sauce would have a list of 25 ingredients or something; i'd just rather we didn't have all that extra stuff which just cannot be good.

Habbibu Fri 07-Sep-07 15:22:52

Yes, and you know what's ridiculous? I have beautiful, stupidly expensive knives because I do like to cook, but I am such a Lazy Arse that I go into my kitchen, look at my shiny knives, and use one to cut each thing into a maximum of 3 pieces.

herbgarden Sun 09-Sep-07 09:07:49

Last week I bought a bag of frozen veg and a jar of passata - threw in saucepan, with herbs from shelf and simmered until the veggies had defrosted, whizzed up in the pan, put in little pots and bunged in the freezer (could I get a slot on Nigella Express do you think ???)...put on pasta, add to meat blah blah - couldn't have been easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now