Talk

Advanced search

Vegan and gluten free starter that can be made ahead

(20 Posts)
Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 12:52:48

I am having a lunch and have a vegan and a coeliac attending. I have found a fairly spicy (not hot) main course (uses avocado) and a dessert (mango based) however I am stuck for a starter I can make ahead.

Any suggestions. I also need to add no walnuts but I am happy to substitute them w maccademia nuts if the recipe other wise is good.

OP’s posts: |
needmoresleep1 Fri 21-Feb-20 12:55:28

Falafels?

KnittingSocks Fri 21-Feb-20 12:58:18

Soup? Houmous?

Lordfrontpaw Fri 21-Feb-20 13:00:07

I would do a selection of Mediterranean style goodies - hummus, crudités, imam biyaldi, taboile, dolmades, olives, tomatoes, salads and get some gluten free breads/crackers.

Unless you want hot then make some nice soup (home made stock)

Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 13:02:28

I doubt want something that you usually would serve bread with. My closest friend is the coeliac and when we go out her menu is always limited. For this one I really want to serve something where she gets the same as everyone else.

I have consided soup but not found one I thought wow that would work well. As the main course is bean and rice based I also worry it will be too filling.

I have considered a mousse but again not found one that I love the idea off.

Falafel is a possibility but I guess I view them pretty every day food so they dont excite me... likely more my issue thoughgrin

user1495884620 Fri 21-Feb-20 13:03:30

Melon? Light and simple.

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Feb-20 13:03:35

Pear and walnut salad

CanIHaveATiaraPlease Fri 21-Feb-20 13:04:45

Thai sweet potato coconut soup?

Lordfrontpaw Fri 21-Feb-20 13:06:36

I get gluten free oatcakes - they are really nice. The bread can be a bit flakey (breaks apart) but tastes fine.

Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 13:06:40

I am not keen on the spread type starters as I feel it will be too much work. I ideally want something I can make up in individual portions prior.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 21-Feb-20 13:07:30

I guess soup then - maybe a french onion or vegan minestrone (gluten free pasta).

Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 13:07:34

@CanIHaveATiaraPlease that's an interesting idea...

CanIHaveATiaraPlease Fri 21-Feb-20 13:18:03

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/speedy-sweet-potato-soup-coconut%3famp

It’s quite easy but I can’t be bothered to grate it so just chop & blitz with a blender.

Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 13:19:06

Quite a few recipes out there for it. Going to look at this one. For sure but up for other idead

Enko Fri 21-Feb-20 13:19:21

Ideas*

Ricekrispie22 Fri 21-Feb-20 14:30:33

Avocado halves filled with salsa
Tofu salad www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/i/indonesian-inspiredsmokedtofusalad.html

AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 21-Feb-20 17:28:55

Justroll do a gf puff pastry which also happens to be vegan. Could be used to make a simple tart, garlic mushroom or Mediterranean veg would both be good. Easy to assemble in advance too.

Enko Sat 22-Feb-20 10:53:58

Ohh that's a interesting idea...

ChinUpChestOut Sat 22-Feb-20 11:05:49

I'm vegan and gluten free! I had friends for dinner the other week where we served only vegan and gf the entire evening and the food really worked. The starters were a selection:

Grilled beef tomatoes with chilli, garlic & ginger
(Ottolenghi recipe: saute sliced chillis, sliced garlic and sliced ginger in olive oil - all small pieces until starting to brown, then add roughly chopped coriander stalks and sauté for a couple of minutes more. Reserve the aromatics and keep the oil. Grill the tomato slices (brushed with the oil) until starting to go brown, remove, pour a little more oil over and serve on large platter with aromatics with fresh coriander sprinkled on top.)
Grilled courgette spirals: finely slice courgettes (green & yellow) and grill so that you get the marks on them. Roll up around a blob of vegan garlic & herb cheese spread. Super easy!
Green pea & cashew dip: Sauté 1 chopped onion, then blend in food processor with 150g frozen peas (thawed) and 100g toasted cashews, juice of 1/2 lemon, 5g fresh parsley leaves, 60ml water, until a coarse mixture. Taste, season with salt & pepper and then serve in a bowl with crudités for dipping - carrots, sliced peppers etc. Cover and keep in fridge until ready to use.

Our guests loved it.

ChinUpChestOut Sat 22-Feb-20 11:07:01

Oh and it can all be made in advance - they were all served cold, although the tomatoes were warm-ish but could be cold as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »