Talk

Advanced search

Chip shop chicken and mushroom pie

(13 Posts)
MyCatHatesEverybody Thu 20-Feb-20 10:40:56

Does anyone have a recipe or any ideas for a Pukka/Peters etc style chicken and mushroom pie filling? I tried googling but whilst there are a lot of nice pie recipes out there I fancy a good old chippy style version but I can't figure out what the secret is. They seem to have disappeared from my local chippies..it's all meat or cheese and onion!

OP’s posts: |
UnexpectedCoatInThePost Thu 20-Feb-20 10:42:08

They sell Pukka pies retail too - I can get them in Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's

MyCatHatesEverybody Thu 20-Feb-20 11:07:31

Thank you! Sorry I should have been clearer, due to transport/finances I do nearly all my shopping in Aldi or Lidl and rarely get to one of the main supermarkets so I'd like to make a home made version if it's at all possible.

UnexpectedCoatInThePost Thu 20-Feb-20 11:25:58

Ah right... I made one that was a passable imitation years ago using Campbells condensed soup (do Aldi / Lidl do a version? Can't remember when I last say it TBH).
Something similar to this one from BBC Good Food
If you can't get the soup, I'd probably do a simple white sauce and add seasoning / mushrooms.

MyCatHatesEverybody Thu 20-Feb-20 11:45:11

Actually I think mushroom soup would give it that elusive flavour i'm looking for, thanks I'll give it a go.

Notthebloodygym Thu 20-Feb-20 12:42:56

The classic is onion cooked down, plus cream. I add a bit of a stockpot, until it tastes right.

UnexpectedCoatInThePost Thu 20-Feb-20 18:03:16

Let us know how it goes and post the recipe if its good!!

JoyceDivision Thu 20-Feb-20 18:05:01

Campbell's condensed mushroom soup definately! It has been the staple of chicken and mushroom vol-au-vents ( aka mini pukka pies) for years grin

Icedlatte Thu 20-Feb-20 18:21:55

The chip shop ones are very peppery, so be brave with the pepper!

justthecat Thu 20-Feb-20 18:23:30

I use Campbell’s condensed when making chicken pasty’s

MyCatHatesEverybody Thu 20-Feb-20 19:07:53

I didn't get out to the shops today but using your comments as inspiration I made a sauce out of onion, mushroom, flour, a splash of double cream, oxo cube chicken stock and white pepper, then mixed in chopped Aldi precooked chicken breasts. I figured out it was the onion and white pepper that I was missing before. Condensed soup would definitely give a similar flavour so I'll stock up next time I'm in a regular supermarket to save faffing. Thanks all, it really hit the spot.

managedmis Fri 21-Feb-20 02:22:02

Bloody hell, that looks lush, mycat

UnexpectedCoatInThePost Fri 21-Feb-20 22:34:36

That looks lovely.
I might try this weekend, thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »