Talk

Advanced search

Beef Casserole

(10 Posts)
bananaskin123 Sun 16-Feb-20 12:08:57

Decided to make the above for the freezer. Recipe said cook on stove for 2 1/2 hours with lid but not completely covered. I brought it up to boil and then transferred to cook in the oven at fan 140 degs. Its been in an hour and a half, smells really good but the sauce is quite thin. I've moved the lid slightly so its not full on and hoping that will thicken the sauce. Think this will work? I suppose if I'm freezing it it might thicken up when its reheated. Any advice greatly appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
TheQueef Sun 16-Feb-20 12:11:38

A spoon of flour and lid ajar should do it if it has another hour.

sproutsandparsnips Sun 16-Feb-20 12:15:19

If it is still thin after defrosting I would mix a bit of cornflour with water and stir it in. That will avoid any lumps.

pastabest Sun 16-Feb-20 12:22:47

It's still got an hour of cooking time left to go, but even so you aren't cooking it on the stove so it won't be reducing in the same way (although I always think it tastes better done in the oven so would do the same).

It might need a bit of cornflour at the end to thicken it.

handbagsatdawn33 Sun 16-Feb-20 12:50:36

I'd leave it as it is, & after defrosting thicken with cornflour mixed with water if necessary.
Don't put neat flour/cornflour in it - it will go lumpy.

Chelsea26 Sun 16-Feb-20 12:56:41

Or chuck in some gravy granules if you have any

GreyishDays Sun 16-Feb-20 13:04:24

I’d put some cornflour in a very little cold water. Then add some casserole sauce to it in a pan, bring to the boil and then chuck back in the casserole.

TheQueef Sun 16-Feb-20 13:07:20

The problem I have with granules is the salt, always too much.
I've seen a tub of McDougall thickening granules I intend to try, anyone used those?

GreyishDays Sun 16-Feb-20 14:36:04

I think they’re just the beginnings of a roux, so fat and flour together. Should work well I guess?

TheSandgroper Sun 16-Feb-20 14:54:16

Lid off as instructed allows for evaporation/reduction which you aren’t doing so expect the thin liquid. A roux or cornflour will help.

I don’t do gluten so for my casseroles, I use loads of veges and then whizz or mash half of them just before serving. It works quite well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »