Talk

Advanced search

Best home coffee maker?

(15 Posts)
ditherwood Fri 14-Feb-20 16:22:14

I'd like to make coffee at home for when I have friends over. I'm not a big coffee drinker but lots of my friends are. Would love to hear what anyone might recommend for a home coffee machine? I'm thinking a Bialetti at the moment although recently had Nespresso cappuccino at a friends and he used Aldi pods and it was delicious.

bravotango Fri 14-Feb-20 16:24:03

Stove top Bialetti all the way! Pods aren't great for the environment but you could go all out and get a bean to pump coffee maker with a milk frother! I find pouring the stovetop espresso onto warmed milk in my mug makes a great cup.

ditherwood Fri 14-Feb-20 16:37:32

Thanks Bravo! Am definitely tending towards the Bialetti

Seasprayandsunshine Fri 14-Feb-20 16:49:50

If you are happy to invest - I would absolutely recommend a Sage.

Certainly not cheap but built to last. We paid £500 for ours 5 years ago and it's used daily, still good as new and has saved us an absolute fortune in take away coffees.

ditherwood Fri 14-Feb-20 17:46:10

Sounds amazing Seaspray! Unfortunately beyond my budget though

GetRid Fri 14-Feb-20 21:19:45

Italian stovetop definitely the best coffee

Michaelbaubles Fri 14-Feb-20 21:21:49

I have a Bialetti but I prefer using my Nespresso and topping up with hot water tbh! DP is obsessed with the moka pot though and raves about it. He prefers the stronger Italian style coffee though and I like a longer, smoother drink.

GrannyHaddock Fri 14-Feb-20 21:34:40

Bialetti is great. I have a 4-cup stainless steel one which makes enough for 1 mug when hot milk is added. You might need a 10 or 12 cup if you want to make enough for your visitors. There is also a choice to make between stainless and aluminium.

Heygirlheyboy Fri 14-Feb-20 21:48:18

You can get aluminium pods that are reusable and fit the bespresso. I saw a DeLonghi for around 200 that looked good!

ditherwood Sat 15-Feb-20 14:10:55

Thanks Getrid, added to cart.

ditherwood Sat 15-Feb-20 14:11:49

Michaelbaubles I think I prefer a longer smoother drink too but Bialetti seems to be getting the most votes so might give that a go first

ditherwood Sat 15-Feb-20 14:12:26

GrannyHaddock such a good point about the size, I need to figure out which one to get, thank you

ditherwood Sat 15-Feb-20 14:12:58

heyggirlheyboy good to know about the reusable pods, that was something that worried e about Nespresso

Otherpeoplesteens Mon 17-Feb-20 15:11:07

I wouldn't rule out a plain cafetière. There's an enormous variety of ground coffee suitable for it without having to fart around with pods, it's cheap and simple, easy to use and clean, and a large one can be used for small or large amounts, strong or weak. Just make sure the water comes off the boil before you pour it on.

ditherwood Mon 17-Feb-20 15:50:40

Good point Otherpeoplesteens, will look into that too, thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »