Talk

Advanced search

Baked Camembert...what went wrong?

(8 Posts)
SummerintoAutumn Tue 11-Feb-20 09:10:45

I bought someone a lovely cheese baker for Christmas together with a Camembert from a supermarket.
When I asked them how it was they eventually said (after much probing 😂) that it had tasted awful.
What might have gone wrong? Did I buy the wrong cheese??

OP’s posts: |
delilahbucket Tue 11-Feb-20 09:11:41

It's an acquired taste. Some people don't like it. Crazy people!

SinkGirl Tue 11-Feb-20 09:18:15

Some cheeses are stored incorrectly so that when you bake them they don’t melt properly and are all grainy and horrible. Sadly it’s impossible to tell without cutting into it,

Or they may just not like Camembert, or the cheese wasn’t a very nice one - they vary a lot!

notnowlater Tue 11-Feb-20 09:30:28

It must be an unpasteurized Camembert to melt properly. You really have to read the box before buying, as lots that are listed as 'baking' camembert are pasteurized and won't work. Also, don't bake for too long, as they start to solidify again. About 20 mins should be right.

SummerintoAutumn Tue 11-Feb-20 14:29:01

Thanks - they usually like most things so I think there was definitely a problem with the cheese.
Will have another go with an unpasteurised one!

OP’s posts: |
Icecreamdiva Tue 11-Feb-20 20:59:01

I think it might just be personal taste. We do it regularly with very basic supermarket Camembert and me and DC love it but DH finds it revolting.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 11-Feb-20 22:17:51

As above, it maybe that they just don't like camembert, it's very distinctive and even moreso when heated.
I can imagine people who aren't into stinky cheese hating it weirdos

maxelly Wed 12-Feb-20 17:08:12

As well as the things already mentioned above, it may be that they got the temperature wrong when cooking it - too high and the cheese is molten/burnt around the edges and cold and solid inside, too low and it won't go hot and gooey at all, just generally lukewarm! I find you need to really know your oven and how it relates to the size of cheese+ the tin you are baking it in to get it just right which is a bit of trial and error really!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »