Talk

Advanced search

Green lentils

(13 Posts)
quirrels Sun 09-Feb-20 14:50:09

I have a bag of green lentils which need using. Any tasty recipes which don't involve coconut milk or meat?

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:10:52

I cook this for the freezer www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/golden-veggie-shepherds-pie
Joe Wick’s lentil bolognese www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/joe-wicks-lentil-bolognese
Tacos www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/smoked-lentil-tacos-with-pico-de-gallo/
Spicy lentil stew realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spicy-lentil-stew.html

quirrels Sun 09-Feb-20 17:53:15

Thanks Rice it so happens I have a glut of greek yoghurt so that last one will be useful.

karmakameleon Sun 09-Feb-20 21:48:21

Another one that uses both the lentils and the yoghurt

smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/stuck-pot-rice-with-lentils-and-yogurt/

quirrels Mon 10-Feb-20 12:14:25

That's a very unusual recipe karma I fancy a go at it.

karmakameleon Mon 10-Feb-20 13:21:21

It’s real comfort food. I haven’t made it for ages, but fancy it now!

quirrels Mon 10-Feb-20 14:32:14

It will be very experimental with induction hob as I find it hard to get an even low heat. Do you serve a sauce of any kind with it?

ElderAve Mon 10-Feb-20 14:35:10

Just use them in place of mince in things like chilli, spag bol, shepherd's pie.

karmakameleon Mon 10-Feb-20 15:15:27

Just the yoghurt. I’ve had a similar dish in Egypt that came with a tomato sauce but wasn’t keen on that.

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 10-Feb-20 15:21:27

Oooh this is timely, I was going to post a similar thing - ordered one bag of red lentils in a Sainsburys delivery … got 4 bags of green!

I usually add red lentils to Bolognese/chilli etc straight into the sauce, but for some reason I'm thinking you can't do that with green ones? Do you need to rinse and boil separately?

lastqueenofscotland Mon 10-Feb-20 15:22:10

Mujadarra grin food of the gods

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 10-Feb-20 15:25:38

Reading that Joe Wicks recipe, it looks like you don't need to boil separately

SapphosRock Tue 11-Feb-20 09:59:53

Super easy lentil lasagne (my DC love it)

Cook the the lentils and mix with some ready made pasta sauce then layer in a dish with pasta sheets and bechamel sauce and grate a bit of cheese on top. That's it.

Obv you can make your own sauce adding veg if you're not as lazy as me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »