Talk

Advanced search

Best vegetarian dinner party recipes

(16 Posts)
ZsaZsaMc Thu 06-Feb-20 19:37:40

Serving 6 - 2 vegetarians. So we’d all eat vegetarian ideally or something with the meat as a bonus side dish!

Ideally something you can make in advance / serve up on the table for people to help themselves. Not curry though! Any ideas? For some reason I hate cooking for vegetarians as I find it hard to do anything slightly fancier!

OP’s posts: |
Kiki275 Thu 06-Feb-20 19:40:37

A bake-in-the-oven paella? Can do a large vegetable one and a variety of sides tapas style?x

Ricekrispie22 Fri 07-Feb-20 04:55:32

Mushroom stroganoff (although it’s another dish served with rice perhaps too similar to curry) www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/mushroom-recipes/mushroom-stroganoff/
Chickpea tagine and couscous www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/vegetable-and-chickpea-tagine
Moussaka www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/red_lentil_and_aubergine_33187

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 07-Feb-20 05:03:03

Bean chilli with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, salsa, guacamole etc?

TerpsichoreanMuse Fri 07-Feb-20 05:10:18

A really good roasted vegetable lasagne, with lashings of cheese sauce (gruyère)? Salad on the side.

moochew Fri 07-Feb-20 07:24:10

I like a 5 cheese and tomato lasagne with a rich tomato sauce - don't put a vegetable anywhere near it - serve with a green salad. I'm sure you can find interesting veggie cheeses - we always have mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan (you'll need to find the veggie version) and a couple of others depending what's at the deli counter.
A very easy recipe, that everyone loves - choose a fresh lemony type goats cheese - that's light on goat flavour - Rosary goat is good. Serve with new potatoes and salad.

What kind of thing are you cooking for the meateaters? How fancy do you want to get - the trend is not get fancy anymore - too 1970s parent's dinner party, personally I'm all for this new trend...if you want fancy eat in a restaurant!

lastqueenofscotland Fri 07-Feb-20 08:10:40

Spanakopita with a few sides:
Cous cous salad
Flatbreads
Hummus
Tzatziki

PurpleDaisies Fri 07-Feb-20 08:12:45

Indian feast with daals, curries, bhajis, naan, pickles etc etc etc. The bonus with curry is it’s best made in advance and reheated.

ZsaZsaMc Fri 07-Feb-20 09:03:11

Not fancy fancy but something that you’ve made a bit more of an effort - we would eat vegetable curry, chili etc. as a midweek meal but that said I like the idea of an Indian feast - or indeed a Greek feast (after I had googled spanakopita!)

Flossie44 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:57:59

We often do fajitas. I do a meat version in the oven, and a roasted veg tray also. Both work well in wraps with all the same trimmings - home made guacamole, salsa etc. Served with a big green salad.

Starters, goats cheese filo parcel. Google those, they’re soooo easy and gorgeous!!

Let us know how it goes

iklboo Fri 07-Feb-20 10:13:05

Greek feast sounds gorgeous - vine leaves, spanakopita (or feta parcels), veg moussaka etc. Mmmm.

5zeds Fri 07-Feb-20 10:15:10

Mezze

PippinStar Fri 07-Feb-20 10:30:59

I would probably do tapas, or as others have suggested a Greek mezze. Or fajitas. Or a mushroom wellington. Or a Guinness and mushroom pie. Or puff pastry tartlets.

You could also look up the vegetarian menus on some fancy restaurant websites for ideas.

moochew Fri 07-Feb-20 17:49:34

Cauliflower steaks are quite special looking a taste better than they sound. Something like this? realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spiced-cauliflower-steaks.html

ZsaZsaMc Sun 09-Feb-20 14:12:42

We did aubergine pasta in the end - but in an Italian feast way, with really nice bread, a caprese salad, meats for meat eaters, artichokes, sundries tomatoes etc. I find it so much easier to put everything on the table and the people serve themselves.

Definitely going to experiment with Greek food next time

Flossie44 Sun 09-Feb-20 14:33:36

What did you do in terms of the aubergine pasta?? It sounds lovely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »