Talk

Advanced search

Chickpea liquid??

(8 Posts)
Flossie44 Wed 05-Feb-20 17:31:37

Hi

I am trying to up my intake of chickpeas and beans etc.
Tonigjht I opened w can of chickpeas and the water was incredibly thick and jelly like!! Is this ok???? They were over a year in date and the tin was undamaged.

Any ideas??

OP’s posts: |
SegregateMumBev Wed 05-Feb-20 17:34:51

It's got a name - Aquafaba! Or Bean Water, Can be used to make vegan meringues and the like.

Mind you, I've never been tempted to use it, too many preservatives and chemicals.

Give the chickpeas a good rinse and see how they look and smell.

BlackForestCake Wed 05-Feb-20 18:44:20

What preservatives and chemicals do you think are in a can of chick peas? It's just chick peas and water, possibly some salt.

Cakeweek Wed 05-Feb-20 18:48:00

It's aquafaba. Awesome stuff if your child (or you) has an egg allergy. It works in biscuits, meringues and marshmallows.

Rinse the chickpeas and you'll be fine

BentNeckLady Wed 05-Feb-20 18:51:46

Doesn’t it make the meringues taste of chickpeas?

karmakameleon Wed 05-Feb-20 19:23:51

The best use of the liquid is homemade vegan mayo. The meringue I made wasn’t quite up to scratch but the vegan mayo was a perfect substitute.

Cakeweek Thu 06-Feb-20 06:11:29

Not at all @BentNeckLady they're a bit sweeter than usual and took a long time to get to stiff peaks, but I was going to be damned if I was missing out on Eton mess because I was breastfeeding DS.

I haven't tried mayo @karmakameleon - sorry to hijack OP - what recipe do you use please?

karmakameleon Thu 06-Feb-20 15:08:48

It’s been a long time since I made it (back to normal mayo now) but the one on the bbc website looks similar to the one I used to make.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »