Talk

Advanced search

What to do with blackberries?

(14 Posts)
michaelad Sun 02-Sep-07 15:48:45

Our garden's heaving with blackberries..apart from the obvious jam, what else can I make to use them up? It'd be such a shame to let them go to waste..

fleacircus Sun 02-Sep-07 15:49:38

With apples in either a pie or a crumble. Yum. Or Hugh Fearnley Wotsit had recipes in yesterday's Guardian, will find link.

fleacircus Sun 02-Sep-07 15:50:56

The ice cream looks good!

michaelad Sun 02-Sep-07 15:51:34

which apples would recommend? Better look up how to do crumble.. I'm such a novice smile

michaelad Sun 02-Sep-07 15:55:16

oh whow..yum!!! Thank you!

AuldAlliance Sun 02-Sep-07 15:57:47

A tart, with the brambles laid on top of the pastry case and then covered with an almond cream type mixture.

Charlie999 Sun 02-Sep-07 15:59:13

Buy crumble mix from Tesco's. Peel and slice apples (whatever you like) and bung in dish. Wash blackberries, bung on top. Sprinkle sugar to taste. Empty packet of crumble over the top and bung in the oven for 30 mins. Eat with custard.

Done! As Gordon would say grin and yummy grin

fleacircus Sun 02-Sep-07 15:59:19

I always use bramley apples for cooking because that's what my grandma did and I'm a luddite at heart!

mamama Sun 02-Sep-07 16:02:51

Freeze them

Stew and then freeze them

Eat with ice cream

Put on top of apples when you make a crumble or pie

If you have Jamie's Italy, make them into his blackberry tart

Make cupcakes and stick a blackberry in each case before you add the mixture

Add to banana cake

fleacircus Sun 02-Sep-07 16:05:02

If you've got butter, flour and sugar no need for mix.

Approx 50g butter
Approx 100g plain flour
Couple of heaped tablespoons sugar.

Either rub butter into flour (messy but soothing, use your fingertips, kids like to do this) or whack butter and flour into food processor and blitz until it looks like breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar using a fork. If you're feeling showy offy and have them, a spoonful oats will add a nice texture, so will chopped (unsalted) nuts.

Bramleys and blackberries wont need extra cooking, just peel and slice the apples and put them in a baking dish with the blackberries and sprinkle some sugar over the top. Then put the crumble mix on top of that and stick it in the oven, about 190C for about 40mins.

Don't stress about quantities, if you like lots of crumble to fruit make more of the crumble, but do try to use about half the weight of butter to flour.

fleacircus Sun 02-Sep-07 16:05:55

Ice cream, custard or cream to go with.

Am now officially starving. grin

MrsSpoon Sun 02-Sep-07 16:06:46

Funnily enough DS1 came back with a bowl full of blackberries today, going to make apple and blackberry crumble.

michaelad Sun 02-Sep-07 21:06:54

fab ladies...salivating already!

littlelapin Sun 02-Sep-07 21:08:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now