Talk

Advanced search

AAARGH!!!!!!!!!!! Pregnant friend scuppers my dessert plans! What can I do? This is a culinary emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(16 Posts)
RubyRioja Sat 01-Sep-07 16:32:19

Have finished rather lovely (though I say it myself) pavolva. Made of course with raw egg whites. My dear friend has just made her announcement - no wonder she is driving grin. Not sure whether OK for expectant ladies, but my friend is the cautious type and has waited a long time for this baby and so is likely to be very careful.

What on earth can a culinary challenged muppet like myself 'knock up' before tonight? Have decent Tesco nearby, so ingredients are available - it is skill that is sadly lacking!

Any suggestions?

tortoiseSHELL Sat 01-Sep-07 16:33:54

Can you buy a small pavlova base from Tesco, make a mini one, because they will have used pasteurised eggs?

PenelopePitstops Sat 01-Sep-07 16:35:42

do you not cook the base on a pavlova to make it ok?

RubyRioja Sat 01-Sep-07 16:36:24

Hmm I could, then everyone else could eat the original! Smart idea!

Sre pregnant ladies OK with cream these days do you think?

lisad123 Sat 01-Sep-07 16:36:43

rice pudding hmmm yummy stuff for preggy ladies used to settle my stomach grin
Or buy a mergaine (sp?) base thats ready done and top with nice ice cream.
lisa

Jenkeywoo Sat 01-Sep-07 16:37:58

if it's pavlova and you've cooked it then it's ok.

RubyRioja Sat 01-Sep-07 16:38:43

Thanks - I am a tiny bit peeved as pavlova came out OK and friend is fabbo cook - I was looking forward to showing off for once! base is more 'dried' than cooked, so was a bit nervous!

Still, much more looking forward to baby!grin

Aitch Sat 01-Sep-07 16:43:03

am i being dense, though, aren't they cooked? is that not okay?

RubyRioja Sat 01-Sep-07 16:46:27

Instructions just said to leave in fan oven overnight on lowest setting, so I was not convinced it counted as cooked!

hatwoman Sat 01-Sep-07 16:48:23

am I missing something here? pavlova doesn;t have raw egg whites in it. it's cooked...

hatwoman Sat 01-Sep-07 16:50:09

just serve it - just make sure there's plenty of fruit and cream and she can choose to forego teh actual meringue, if she wants. though it never occured to me not to eat meringue.

pointydog Sat 01-Sep-07 16:51:27

not raw. They're cooked. Serve it.

RubyRioja Sat 01-Sep-07 16:51:35

I ate pretty much everything, but this is a long awaited PFB and so am sure all will be by the book. Trouble is, I don't even remember what is in the book grin

Aitch Sat 01-Sep-07 16:53:46

actually...

Salmonella
Salmonella is a type of bacteria which is usually found in eggs, unprocessed milk, meat, water and poultry. It’s one of the most common causes of food poisoning and can be very unpleasant for anyone to experience, not least pregnant women. It causes symptoms such as vomiting, diarhhoea, dehydration and a high temperature and some people need to receive hospital treatment. Although there’s no direct harm to your baby, you can feel very unwell.

The risk of getting salmonella can be reduced by following basic food hygiene rules. In particular:
# Avoid eating foods made with raw or undercooked eggs, such as meringue, sorbet, mousse, cake mix and mayonnaise.
# Cook eggs thoroughly, so that both the yolk and white are hard.
# Avoid raw or undercooked shellfish.
# Avoid unpasteurised cow, sheep or goats milk.
# Avoid soft whipped ice cream – the type sold from ice cream vans. All these conditions sound nasty, but it is worth bearing in mind that both toxoplasmosis and listeria are quite rare complications of pregnancy. As long as you follow basic hygiene rules and are careful, you should be protected.

Aitch Sat 01-Sep-07 16:54:44

having said that, if it's a pavlova they should be hard and cooked, i wonder if this just refers to those weird fluffy, snowbally meringues?

RubySlippers Sat 01-Sep-07 17:06:52

pavlova is fine for pg women
'tis uncooked eggs that should be avoided

<<RS dribble at the thought of pavlova>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now