Talk

Advanced search

Soured cream - can you use in mash?

(7 Posts)
wondering7777 Sat 25-Jan-20 21:04:33

I’m making mash for DH and me tomorrow and would normally add milk and butter to my potatoes. However I have a couple of tbsp of soured cream to use up - can I use this instead of (or addition to?) the milk and butter? Does it taste nice in mash? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
TossACoinToYourWitcher Sat 25-Jan-20 21:07:29

I've done it before to use it up. Tastes good in my opinion!

Babdoc Sat 25-Jan-20 21:13:57

As long as it was deliberately sour cream when you bought it, OP, and not fresh cream that has gone off in the fridge from being stored too long!
A slightly sour tang can be nice in mashed potato. I sometimes mash in a little mustard if I’m serving it with pork. Sour cream is nice in stroganoff or stirred into beetroot soup before serving, too.

Rinoa Sat 25-Jan-20 21:16:30

100% yes, it's the only way I make it.

changeofname0987 Sat 25-Jan-20 21:19:02

I believe its the Polish way... Sour cream, butter, salt and pepper, and fresh dill. Bloody lush, enjoy...

wondering7777 Sat 25-Jan-20 21:22:12

As long as it was deliberately sour cream when you bought it, OP, and not fresh cream that has gone off in the fridge from being stored too long!

Haha yes it was bought as sour cream! I had a few dollops on my chilli con carne a few nights ago, a few more on my fajitas tonight and now need to finish the tub! grin

@Rinoa do you use it in addition to milk and butter or as a substitute for one/both?

OP’s posts: |
NeckPainChairSearch Sat 25-Jan-20 22:17:06

Absolutely yes! I would use in addition to milk and butter. Just tweak as needed. Lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in