Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarians: If someone was making you a Sunday roast....

(101 Posts)
Lost675 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:30:05

What would you want on it?

OP’s posts: |
LuluBellaBlue Sun 19-Jan-20 09:34:29

I love a full roast..... just without the meat! 😬

Lost675 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:36:38

Interesting, so nothing else in place of meat? Idea of nut roast has been floated but is that a bit of a cliche now? Don't want to look like i haven't really put the thought in.

OP’s posts: |
BuffaloCauliflower Sun 19-Jan-20 09:36:47

Yeh I’m totally happy to everything without the meat (Yorkshire’s, stuffing balls etc) but if I’m making one I usually have the Quorn roast

BuffaloCauliflower Sun 19-Jan-20 09:37:12

Some sort of veggie wellington is nice

BadnessInTheFolds Sun 19-Jan-20 09:37:15

Same here, with some veggie gravy please! Most substitutes are fairly meh and I find nut roast really dry

NeedAnExpert Sun 19-Jan-20 09:37:21

Cauliflower cheese, lots of steamed or roasted veg, possibly some nut roast, veggie gravy.

RandomWok Sun 19-Jan-20 09:40:59

Lentil mousska. Love it with a roast.

Neolara Sun 19-Jan-20 09:41:48

I think you definitely need a substitution for the meat / protein part of the meal. When my family have a roast, they have chicken and I have something like omelette / veggie sausages / quiche / veggie pie. It's not particularly inspiring, and something like nut roast or a Wellington would be nicer, but that generally involves much more work. Although I guess you could just buy one..

mummmy2017 Sun 19-Jan-20 09:42:10

Tell them too cook you some big mushrooms, they take the place of the meat.

drivingtofrance Sun 19-Jan-20 09:43:13

I do veggie sausages for DS. With veggie gravy.

NannyR Sun 19-Jan-20 09:43:43

I'd be very happy with all the veg, roast potatoes, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, veggie gravy. I'm not keen on queen and wouldn't want to put anyone to the trouble of making a nut roast specifically for me, if they were doing meat for every one else.
However, if you were doing the whole meal vegetarian, I would go for a nut roast rather than a meat substitute.

GymSloth Sun 19-Jan-20 09:43:57

A nut roast or veggie Wellington would be great. Personally, I don't really like Quorn, so would prefer not to be given 'fake meat'. Obviously, I'd still eat it.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sun 19-Jan-20 09:45:12

Roasties and yorkies cooked in salted Ghee, other roast veges and a good, hefty stuffing with lots of onion gravy. Actually, I just want the roasties and yorkies with gravy, I eat the other stuff to be polite. Cauliflower cheese is also a good choice.

Newyeardietstartstomorrow Sun 19-Jan-20 09:47:38

For a standard roast I will use quorn fillets for quickness. At Chrismas I made a mixed nut and sweet potato Wellington. I used a stuffing mix made up with roast sweet potato, crushed mixed nuts and an egg, then once shaped I topped it with fried onion and lemon, wrapped the whole thing in pastry.

Swinesinsleepingbags Sun 19-Jan-20 09:48:22

What roast is everyone else having? I'd buy something similar, all the big shops have ace alternatives now, chicken, beef, fish, sausages just all vegan.

Batqueen Sun 19-Jan-20 09:48:56

I make homemade veggie wellington but wouldn’t expect someone else to make it. The Artisan Grains nut roasts are easy to make up and bung in the oven and tasty. Veggie sausages are also good. Most important is making sure that the main parts of the meal are veggie friendly e.g potatoes not in goose fat and veggie gravy!

CantKeepSecrets Sun 19-Jan-20 09:50:08

I'd be happy with everything but the meat. MIL usually buys a veggie tart or wellington , although I always tell her she needn't bother , it is a nice touch.

LemonPrism Sun 19-Jan-20 09:53:30

Just veg sausages would be fine or a quorn escalope but tbh just all the veg/Yorkshire/potatoes etc is also fine if there's enough

Coughy4u Sun 19-Jan-20 09:54:03

I love nut roast, quorn, linda mccartney pie or even some veggie sausage or veggie 'meat' loaf. Everything but meat feels like im an after thought and being short changed its what id do if nobody was aware or cared that a veggie is coming.
Disclaimer im no longer veggie but was vegan for a few years.

LemonPrism Sun 19-Jan-20 09:54:59

Or just roasted butternut squash would make me happy too!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 19-Jan-20 09:57:03

I'm happy with everything but the meat, especially if there's cauliflower cheese. Otherwise a bought pie, couple of big roasted mushrooms or a couple of veggie sausages would all make me happy.

NeedAnExpert Sun 19-Jan-20 09:57:42

I'd buy something similar, all the big shops have ace alternatives now, chicken, beef, fish, sausages just all vegan.

Loads of vegetarians dislike the taste of meat. In 30 years of vegetarianism I’ve never touched anything that said it was beef flavoured. Yuck!

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 19-Jan-20 09:59:40

Hate nut roast. It’s like eating gravel.

I will usually have veggie sausages, pie, quorn fillet... My mum just had the other stuff with no substitute. I’ll eat that too. As long as I don’t get given more boiled carrots as a substitute, I’m happy.

If you are doing a roast for someone, your best bet is to ask them what they’d like. Cauliflower cheese has been suggested up thread but makes me feel sick. Your guest will know what they like.

Aerielview Sun 19-Jan-20 10:00:04

Just make sure the roast potatoes aren't cooked in animal fat

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »