Talk

Advanced search

Who remembers Beanfeast? Does anyone still make it?

(42 Posts)
Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 15-Jan-20 19:02:03

We’re going on holiday to Sweden with a big group of friends.
We arrive on a Sunday afternoon and we’re cooking on the first evening.
I was going to make a chilli, but I need to cater for vegetarians and I don’t know what type of veggie mince i’ll be able to get out there so was hoping to take something to be in the safe side.
I remember years ago that you could buy a packet veggie mince called Beanfeast, but can’t find anything like it now,
Does anyone know if there’s anything similar available?

OP’s posts: |
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 15-Jan-20 19:03:22

I remember it but not seen it for years. I'd prefer just a load of mixed beans/lentils, rather than dried soya, personally.

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 15-Jan-20 19:05:56

I won’t have time to soak beans and don’t have the luggage allowance to take much with us.
I don’t know if there’ll be canned beans available...

NannyR Wed 15-Jan-20 19:06:30

I would personally prefer beans or lentils to soya mince. I use the sachets of ready cooked green lentils as a mince substitute in things like chilli, bolognese etc, Aldi sell them for about £1.

Nemesia Wed 15-Jan-20 19:08:52

I think you can still buy it in asda, however I tried it a year or two back for nostalgia's sake and it wasn't very nice! Suspect it has become a victim of lower salt/ sugar guidelines.

Nemesia Wed 15-Jan-20 19:10:14

I've also just found it on the Tesco website!

Tanaqui Wed 15-Jan-20 19:10:27

There will be lots of canned beans in the supermarket- but they will be in cartons mostly! They have pictures on the front so you will be able to see.

HandsOffMyRights Wed 15-Jan-20 19:12:10

I found it in Tesco not that long ago. I used to love this but tried it again and it was a bit 🤮

Moltenpink Wed 15-Jan-20 19:14:58

Morrison’s sell Fudco dried soya mince, it doesn’t weigh much so might be handy, it doesn’t taste toooo bad...

Muchtoomuchtodo Wed 15-Jan-20 19:23:35

Right, based in your recent taste tests I won’t subject my friends to it!

Thanks Tanaqui. Cartons will be fine as long as we know what they are and they don’t need soaking before we cook them.

HandsOffMyRights Wed 15-Jan-20 19:23:55

You can get it on ebay or Amazon!

PhantomErik Wed 15-Jan-20 19:27:28

I bought some from Asda recently but I expect any health shops would have it.

If not could you take some nice mixed beans/lentils?

Drinkciderfromalemon Wed 15-Jan-20 19:32:56

Got some recently in Tesco. As per pp, it was not as nice as I remember it to have been in 1993...

TwoHeadedYellowBelliedHoleDig Wed 15-Jan-20 19:37:32

I ate some recently and can only think I was totally off my face during the entire time I was at university.

Swife Wed 15-Jan-20 23:46:12

In the US we have 'Morning Star Farms: veggie crumbles', 'Gardein: beefless ground' and 'Litelife: Smart Ground'
These are my favorites

Swife Wed 15-Jan-20 23:47:54

@Muchtoomuchtodo In the US we have 'Morning Star Farms: veggie crumbles', 'Gardein: beefless ground' and 'Litelife: Smart Ground'
These are my favorites

*sry forgot pics

lollybee1 Wed 15-Jan-20 23:59:09

Butternut squash is lovely in a chilli (beanfeast was rank).

RainbowMum11 Thu 16-Jan-20 00:01:35

Oh yes! I remember it well!!
Don't think it's currently available though sadly.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 16-Jan-20 16:57:25

Holland Barrett sell dehydrated soya mince, 375g bag.

Mary1935 Fri 17-Jan-20 19:59:39

Oh god awful stuff - my veg friend used to do it - tasted like cardboard but she loved it. It was about 20 years ago with little other veggie options available.

Kittywampus Fri 17-Jan-20 20:02:20

I practically lived off the stuff when I was at uni. Sad to hear that it doesn't taste as good these days.

Joloh Fri 17-Jan-20 20:05:08

omg Beanfeast, Sosmix, and Engevita! My childhood! Nostalgia bomb!

Always makes me feel like I'm sabbing with the Woodcraft Folk.

Gammeldragz Sun 19-Jan-20 23:50:10

We used to eat this all the time as mum was vegetarian and we didn't have a fridge so rarely had mince. I remember taking it into school for a cookery lesson when we were making bolognese! I used to like it.
Had it a few years ago when we went camping and it was vile, it has definitely changed!

Gammeldragz Sun 19-Jan-20 23:51:14

Wasn't keen on sosmix though. Or whatever the strange stuff in tubes was that healthfood shops also sold. Apparently it was a food...

Kittywampus Mon 20-Jan-20 08:10:38

@Gammeldragz was the stuff in tubes tartex pate? I loved that too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »