Talk

Advanced search

I've got ready-made puff pastry left over from Xmas, what shall I make?

(16 Posts)
TolpuddleFarter Wed 08-Jan-20 21:12:01

I have some Jus-roll puff pastry left over from Christmas (I had ambitions to make a mincemeat puff pastry tree, but never got round to it.)

Can anybody give me some inspiration as to what to use with it? Maybe something savoury.

OP’s posts: |
MrsRedFly Wed 08-Jan-20 23:05:06

This is popular in my house! www.tinnedtomatoes.com/2011/07/spinach-onion-puff-tart.html

Gammeldragz Wed 08-Jan-20 23:05:47

Pizza whirls!

Gammeldragz Wed 08-Jan-20 23:07:32

Sorry, an explanation/recipe may be helpful!
Spread it with tomato puree jazzed up with herbs and garlic granules, or red pesto. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up into a sausage. Cut into rounds (like biscuits), and bake on a tray lined with baking paper or well oiled.

Palavah Wed 08-Jan-20 23:12:20

Chicken pot pie or salmon en croute

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 08-Jan-20 23:13:44

Goats' cheese puffs (put piece of goats' cheese on puff pastry, fold over like a windmill, sprig of thyme if you want to be fancy. Eat several.

KellyHall Wed 08-Jan-20 23:15:41

Spread caramelised red onion chutney on it, crumble on goat's cheese and black olives, then sprinkle with pine nuts and bake.

Triglesoffy Wed 08-Jan-20 23:18:50

Mix with grated cheese and make cheese straws.

Xiaoxiong Wed 08-Jan-20 23:49:30

French tomato tart with tarragon, the easiest and most delicious thing in the world.

Unroll pastry
Spread with Dijon mustard
Arrange sliced tomatoes on top
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, chopped tarragon
Bake until pastry is brown
Try not to eat the whole tart in one sitting...!

Xiaoxiong Wed 08-Jan-20 23:54:32

My kids love plum tarts too.

Mash butter, sugar and cinnamon
Unroll pastry
Spread butter mixture evenly over pastry
Roll pastry back up again
Slice into spirals and roll out each spiral just until flat
Cut plums in half and arrange cut face down on paper lined baking sheet (this is a good way to use up rock-hard plums from the supermarket that never properly ripen)
Drape pastry spiral circle over plum halves and mould around the plum so there is a little skirt round the edge of the plum
Bake until pastry is done and plums are soft

TolpuddleFarter Thu 09-Jan-20 09:18:46

Wow thanks guys! I might have to buy even more puff pastry to try these out.

OP’s posts: |
MsRinky Thu 09-Jan-20 21:24:28

Haggis sausage rolls for Burns night, that’s what I’m doing.

ToEarlyForDecorations Thu 09-Jan-20 21:46:48

Roll out the pastry. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over. Maybe a little paprika too. Cut into long strips. Bake in a hot oven for about 20 mins, take out and leave to cool and you have cheese straws.

Alternatively, roll it out as above and only sprinkle sugar on it. Cut into long strips. Take a strip and curl the left and right of the strip until they meet in the middle.

Repeat until you have curled all the strips. Sprinkle sugar on top of each one.

Bake in a hot oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. You will then have Palmiers aka pigs ears.

Paddy1234 Thu 09-Jan-20 21:51:00

Spread on pesto, tinned asparagus, pine nuts and Parmesan and cut into squares - delicious

Lozza70 Thu 09-Jan-20 21:54:15

Roll out, spread with red onion chutney, sprinkle wit thyme, dot over goats cheese and add thin slices of red onion, bake. Delicious 😋

gwilt Thu 09-Jan-20 22:03:38

Tomato and almond tart aka savoury frangipane. Mmmmm.

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/aug/10/tomato-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »