Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Blackberries!

(24 Posts)
EmmaJW1976 Tue 28-Aug-07 19:45:01

Took the kids into the woods blackberry picking as a cheap day out today.

Now I have a bag of them but no idea what to do with them.

Crumble, jam? Any recipes would be really welcome as I really don't want to throw them.
(once I've got over the idea that loads of dogs have probably wee'd on them!).

DoubleBluff Tue 28-Aug-07 21:01:23

Hah did the same.
Will Bump for us both.
Although I like mine with Greek Yogurt and crumbled ginger biscuits.

newlifenewname Tue 28-Aug-07 21:03:50

You need to soak them in salty water overnight to get the bugs out (this may help disinfect dog weehmm)

fawkeoff Tue 28-Aug-07 21:04:37

soak em overnight and make me a gorgeous blackberry and apple crumble please wink with custard x

DoubleBluff Tue 28-Aug-07 21:05:13

I only pick the ones high up for that reason! ( although those ones prob have bird wee on them!)

Greensleeves Tue 28-Aug-07 21:07:47

I don't soak 'em, too much hassle. Just toss them in a colander with a bit of warm water and then proceed to recipe.

So far this season I have made blackberry jam, blackberry jam tarts, blackberry sorbet, blackberry cordial, apple and blackberry pies, apple and blackberry crumbles, blackberry ice cream, and egg custard tart with whole blackberries in it.

winestein Tue 28-Aug-07 21:08:46

Don't soak overnight! shock It takes max half hour to get all the crawlies out. If you do it overnight, lots of lovely juice comes out and the blackberries go salty.

Blackberry and apple crumble is divine. Best crumble topping recipe ever:

75g butter
100g sugar
140g plain flour
60g oats

Gas mark 4 - 30mins

I also have a fabulous recipe for divine blackberry vodka if you are so inclined?

DoubleBluff Tue 28-Aug-07 21:08:57

mm like the sound of the egg custard tart combo.
ow many blackberries did you pick?!!

newlifenewname Tue 28-Aug-07 21:09:30

That'll be blackberry and maggot sorbet, blackberry apple and grub pie, etc. then?grin

winestein Tue 28-Aug-07 21:10:02

You missed blackberry muffins off that list Greeny [smug]

Greensleeves Tue 28-Aug-07 21:10:09

thanks for that newlife hmm

winestein Tue 28-Aug-07 21:11:58

Nowt wrong with a bit of extra protein Greeny grin

Greensleeves Tue 28-Aug-07 21:13:01

I have a major life-blighting phobia of the m-word sad

<<leaves thread for good>>

Slubberdegullion Tue 28-Aug-07 21:14:33

Blimey Greensleeves, did you have a glut? that's a seriously impressive blackberry list you have done there.

weinstein, yes please to blackberry vodka recipe (do you think gin could be substituted, I'm more of a gin girl myself).

fishie Tue 28-Aug-07 21:20:58

i don't wash them. wouldn't pick from wee areas or side of road though. excellent year, we have eaten oodles of them.

flamingtoaster Tue 28-Aug-07 21:23:40

As a change from crumble - put blackberries in the bottom of the dish, slice eating apples on top, cover with a sponge mixture to which you have added 1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice and cook for about 40 minutes at 200. Delicious hot or cold.

SlightlyMadShockwave Tue 28-Aug-07 21:25:02

Can you juggle blackberries?

<Sorry poor joke, probably in poor taste grin>

winestein Tue 28-Aug-07 21:28:39

Oh no! The the site to which I posted a link a couple of years ago has crashed!

This one was also posted though - should suit you Slubber. The original one I posted could be substituted with gin - I think it just needs to be clear spirit.

here you go!

winestein Tue 28-Aug-07 21:29:14

Better off using mangoes as I understand it SMS

SlightlyMadShockwave Tue 28-Aug-07 21:41:25

arrr I see...thanks for clearing that up grin

EmmaJW1976 Tue 28-Aug-07 22:32:50

Wow thanks everyone that's great!

Will go and soak them now and decide what to do with them in the morning, although I think a crumble will be nice!

Pixiefish Tue 28-Aug-07 22:36:13

sounds delish flaming toaster- may try that tomorrow with the ones we collected on Monday (In freezer atm)

Waiting for the next lot to ripen now- we're collecting them from our field and also have to wait for dh to attack the gateway with a strimmer so I can actually get up to one of the fields to gather them

Carmenere Tue 28-Aug-07 22:36:28

I got some yesterday and I just made a really wet biscuit/sweet pastry mixture(butter, flour, sugar and an egg) and pushed it into the bottom of a cake ring. I then par-baked it, after about 10 minutes I tossed the berries with sugar and put them on top of the mix and baked it for about 30 mins. It was DIVINE.

Slubberdegullion Wed 29-Aug-07 09:45:49

Thanks weinstein for the sloe/blckberry gin recipe...will need to go and find some now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now