Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm failing at this..

(8 Posts)
kay1981 Tue 28-Aug-07 15:19:52

My 1YO DS has always been a funny eater with lumps and the like, but has recently got much better, but I notice that he doesn't seem to be eating what other kids his age are and I'm a bit confused. Here's what he eats

Breakfast - approx 6oz whole milk and either 1 weetabix or 3 heaped tbls porridge.

Lunch - Half a Heinz mums own jar and some mashed potatoes and a yogurt (or similar dessert) and juice

Dinner - the same as lunch time, though a different flavour jar

Bedtime - usually 8oz whole milk.

He does have snacks in between but has gone off fruit, so it's either chocolate buttons, (not often though), toast or bread and jam or cheese, a boiled egg (but not often, he not keen) or something similar and I always make sure he has a drink available.

What should I do differently, I feel that we should be moving on but dont know how. I dont think that a few bits (literally) of a sandwich is enough. I cant go to my health visitor as we have fallen out. I really dont know where to turn sad.
I know in the grand scheme of things its not a huge problem, but it does worry me.

Any advice welcome
xx

stressteddy Tue 28-Aug-07 15:23:31

Please don't worry. this all sounds very normal. They like something one day and then won't touch it the next. He is already doing very well for 1. I didn't start weaning onto big foods until my ds was one so you are ahead of the game in my opinion
You are doing really well and should just keep trying to introduce the occasional new thing every few meals
Don't rush it
let him try flavours without expecting him to eat it. ie suck on pepper, asparagus etc
Hope this helps kay

DANCESwithDumbledore Tue 28-Aug-07 15:24:30

Maybe his snacks are a bit big, could it be putting him off his main meals? Oh and <adopts school ma'am voice> 'failing' is ridiculously harsh on yourself. I'm yet to find a parent whose child's eating hasn't driven them mad at some point during their life smile

witchandchips Tue 28-Aug-07 15:28:01

think by 1 they can and should be eating more or less what you eat (with the proviso that they need more fat and less fibre than you do).
The easiest thing to do is i think to plan reasonably healthy meals for yourself and then give ds some of what you are having. Eat together as far as possible. So if you are a SAHM you could have breakfast and lunch together. Don't get hung up on cooking special meals for him, if he sees you eating and enjoying stuff then he will do the same. Save the jars for when you are out.

harleyd Tue 28-Aug-07 15:32:06

ds2 is nearly 1 and just gets what we are having. he never liked the jars though, he just liked 'real' food. sometimes he can be fussy, but theres not much he refuses. just experiment and dont get too stressed over it. the amount your ds is eating sounds fine to me

Michelle020774 Tue 28-Aug-07 15:35:47

I really wouldn't worry too much about it! My GP once told me, that a child will never starve itself! Although I found it hard at first (when mine wouldn't eat!), I have stopped worrying and if he won't eat his dinner, I just take it away and let him carry on playing!

kay1981 Tue 28-Aug-07 15:47:48

Thanks guys - you really have helpedgrin.

I didnt want to give him any jar food but he stopped eating my food completely (charming!!) so I have no choice.

My friend and I went out for lunch to a carvery and took the kids, she gave him bits of carrot and chicken, but he ate probably 4 pieces of food in all and she said that was his dinner!! That cant be right, surely they need more than 2 slices of carrot and a manky bit of chicken?

I'll just keep persevering (sp) with it and see how we go.

Thanks again
xxx

witchandchips Tue 28-Aug-07 15:55:00

i would not worry about the amounts at this stage. They will eat when they are hungry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now