Talk

Advanced search

Favourite quick and delicious ways with vegetables please

(43 Posts)
franch Sun 26-Aug-07 16:35:20

I always seem to do veg very much as an afterthought, unadorned and frequently from the freezer. Am always put off by fiddly veg accompaniment recipes that basically involve cooking an entire extra dish in its own right; what I'm looking for is simple and QUICK ways of doing veg that make it extra delicious (honeyed carrots, courgettes grilled with herbs, French beans with garlic - that kind of thing).

Inspiration please

Roskva Sun 26-Aug-07 18:12:09

stir fry shredded cabbage instead of boiling it, and throw in some sesame seeds and a slug of soy sauce - much nicer! (But beware, soy sauce doesn't necessarily go with other sauces)

cut cherry tomatoes in half, and cut small new potatoes into pieces about the same size as the tomato halves. Put them in an oven proof dish, coat them with olive oil and some herbs and put them in the oven on 200C for half an hour. Then give them a good stir and pour in a quarter of a pint of either stock or white wine and put them back in the oven for another half hour - scrummy.

policywonk Sun 26-Aug-07 18:15:05

Add some butter, shredded basil leaves and mixed seeds to peas (after cooking).

Marne Sun 26-Aug-07 18:19:18

I just chop up a load of veg, peppers, sweet potatoe, butternut squash, red onion, courgette, baby sweet corn or what ever you have lying around, chuck in a roasting tray with a chopped red onion and garlic, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30-40 mins. Sometimes i chop some feta cheese and add to it (so dd1 will eat it)

I always add onion to the cabbage and a knob of butter, you can also add small cubes of baccon.

Roast carrots and parsnips drizzled with honey or honey and mustard.

franch Tue 28-Aug-07 15:16:29

Excellent suggestions, many thanks all. More welcome

bozza Tue 28-Aug-07 15:21:34

I roast parsnips in maple syrup. Got the idea from Nigella Christmas programme. Often fry cabbage with garlic. Also shred and saute leeks. Love roast veg.

Good idea for a thread.

franch Tue 28-Aug-07 15:24:03

Yummy bozza

franch Wed 29-Aug-07 17:30:09

bump

NoNickname Wed 29-Aug-07 19:55:18

Chop carrots into thumb-sized pieces, lay in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle over olive oil and fennel seeds. Cook in oven (sorry don't know how long or what temperature - this is dh's specialty really). Add a squeeze of lemon juice just before you serve them.

franch Thu 30-Aug-07 14:50:34

sounds lovely nonick

PinkMartini Thu 30-Aug-07 15:00:17

I also see where I can add veg to whatever I"m cooking - courgettes, carrots regularly go into bolognaise etc.
Also salad as a starter to take the edge off your hunger is a good way of upping the greens without it being a hassle.

Charlee Thu 30-Aug-07 15:03:09

Carrotts are also good if you cut them into battons chuck em in some tin foil with some olive oil and thyme ad make it into a bag type thing then pop them into the oven for about 30 mins.

franch Thu 30-Aug-07 16:18:48

Excellent - thank you!

franch Sun 02-Sep-07 11:23:58

Just doing an online shop so am planning to do some of these this week. Any more welcome

slim22 Sun 02-Sep-07 11:51:22

moroccan warm potato salad
-boil and cut in chunks while still hot/warm
- sprinkle with paprika/cumin/olive oil/lemonjuice/spring onion/chopped parsley
(turn this into a meal by serving on bed of salad and top with good quality tinned sardines or tuna)

Green bean (okra even better) mini casserole
- cut 3 chunky tomatoes. Throw in pan with oilve oil/crushed garlic
- add green beans from freezer and stew 10 mn (add alittle water if dries.

mediteranean courgette
- Cut in sticks and boil or steam 5 mn
- dress while still warm with olive oil/lemon juice and a little grated rind/dried thyme/cumin/salt and pepper

Generally veg are happiest if you are generous with herbs and spices.

Riss70 Sun 02-Sep-07 11:57:14

add some diced raw onion or slightly cooked onion to mash or some grated cheese\

some diced bacon or ham in mash is nice

what about mixing pumpkin or sweet potato with mash (my H ONLY eats mashed potato)

mix some baba gannosh or homus into it tooo

some nice mint in the water when preparing peas (again so is diced bacon or ham) or just a spoonful of honey and seom sesame seeds thrown in with the carots at the alst minute

franch Sun 02-Sep-07 21:04:58

thank you!

franch Sat 15-Sep-07 15:02:15

slim22 I did your okra idea - delicious - and DH also loved it

XcupcakemummyX Sat 15-Sep-07 15:23:40

roasted veg
but add cubes of feta for the last 10 mins of cooking time

franch Sun 16-Sep-07 11:27:54

Fave veges for roasting?

franch Wed 26-Sep-07 21:12:07

bump

shrooms Thu 27-Sep-07 10:41:16

Fave veggies for roasting are butternut squash, parsnips, swede, vine/cherry tomatoes, peppers, and whole little gem lettuces. And potatoes (of course!) but I know they don't really count as veggies!
I do the above combos with olive oil and salt and pepper, but also for variation I add cumin and coriander seeds. Sometimes a pinch of chilli flakes.
And while we're on the roasting subject, you can roast chickpeas in with the veg for nice crunchy bits that you would get from potatoes, and much healthier!

shrooms Thu 27-Sep-07 10:43:13

Oh! And onions and garlic. How could I forget grin

franch Thu 27-Sep-07 19:30:06

shrooms I love chickpeas - great idea

slim22 Fri 28-Sep-07 11:04:34

Hi, glad you liked it.

Here's more for chickpeas

1) slice 1 onion and 1 tomato and caramelize in pan with olive oil/sugar

2) add chikpeas (drained from can) /chopped coriander/cumin/chili flakes/ salt pepper.
Toss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now