Talk

Advanced search

How much meat daily?

(10 Posts)
KerryMumbledore Sat 25-Aug-07 16:31:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Othersideofthechannel Sat 25-Aug-07 16:40:03

I'd like to know too. Here in France they say up to age 3 children should only have meat or fish or egg once a day. But I haven't been told anything beyond that age.

HonoriaGlossop Sat 25-Aug-07 17:11:13

I'm afraid I don't know if there are guidelines, but just to give you our experience, I'd say ds has meat perhaps 3 or 4 times a week. He'll have ham, bacon or chicken...that's it really, he doesn't fancy other types of meat. He has tuna, salmon and mackerel about once a week each too.

Meals we have other than that would be things like Vegetable and lentil soup, Veg casseroles, pizza...

I think maybe you could increase the amount of fish meals they have as fish is so good for you. Fish pie, kedgeree and that sort of thing as well as good old fish fingers!

Personally I think meat twice a day most days is a bit much, though I don't have a rational reason for that grin

NutterlyUts Sat 25-Aug-07 17:13:29

Does meat increase your likelyhood of strokes? Or something along those lines?

nightshade Sat 25-Aug-07 17:14:49

although i enjoy meat, i rarely give it to dd. i use other forms of protein like cheese, lentils eggs etc.

i think she will be better served long term, by eating vegetables, carbs etc.

KerryMumbledore Sat 25-Aug-07 17:28:37

Raggydoll Sat 25-Aug-07 17:32:35

bloody hell - my hat goes off to you

Othersideofthechannel Sat 25-Aug-07 17:53:35

Good grief, and then there's the issue of pickiness to contend with... Does he enjoy everything he is allowed?

KerryMumbledore Sat 25-Aug-07 18:38:59

Tartanmam Sat 25-Aug-07 18:40:28

I think that chicken, turkey, game and fish is ok to eat more of (not sure of exact quantities though) but red meat (beef, lamb and pork) should be limited to once or twice a week. The argument behind it in the book i read was to do with the saturated fat levels in red meat.

Can't remember where i read it but it stuck with me as i've always eaten a lot of red meat and remember thinking i'd have to cut back a bit for ds, can try and find out which book it was in if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now