Talk

Advanced search

Microwave an Egg

(10 Posts)
Phantasm900 Fri 20-Dec-19 11:57:26

Hi everyone,

My hob broke last night and because of Christmas cannot be repaired for several days, which I can cope with bar one issue.

I always have a hard-boiled egg every morning, but when I tried to boil one in water in a plastic jug in the microwave it exploded! I have looked online but read conflicting information.

So, does anyone know the best way, if it is possible, to hard boil (not soft) an egg in a microwave?

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
AtleastitsnotMonday Fri 20-Dec-19 16:55:16

You might be better cooking in a Bain Marie in the oven but it would take a while

handbagsatdawn33 Fri 20-Dec-19 17:23:07

www.wikihow.com/Hardboil-Eggs-in-a-Microwave

Blondie1984 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:12:10

You can actually do them in the oven - preheat it to 175 degrees and then bake them for 30 mins (in their shells) before plunging them into ice cold water as soon as they come out.
If you have them every day then you could do a couple at a time - and if you put the eggs into the holes of a muffin tin then it stops them rolling around

Phantasm900 Fri 20-Dec-19 21:14:52

Thanks guys, I looked at the Wiki, but another site said it cannot be done. I did not think of the oven though, try that tomorrow.

Canshopwillshop Fri 20-Dec-19 21:16:23

Put it in the kettle.

Phantasm900 Sat 21-Dec-19 14:04:41

Yup, the kettle occurred to me this morning after half an hour in the oven and an unsuccessful attempt again in the microwave.

CaptainMyCaptain Sat 21-Dec-19 14:13:10

Could you have a poached egg instead? Grease a cup and make sure you pierce the yolk to avoid explosions.

WeirdPookah Sat 21-Dec-19 21:11:38

You can do it in the microwave.

butter a ramekin, or similar little dish, and pierce the yolk a couple times, put on for 30 seconds, stir the cooked sides inward, and then another 30 seconds and see if it's done.

maidenover Sat 21-Dec-19 21:22:54

You could get one of these www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Boiler-Poacher-Omelette-Maker/dp/B007XTZDS0?tag=mumsnetforu03-21

I know boiling an egg is meant to be really simple but I love mine. Added bonus is that because it uses so much less water than a pan it uses less energy, so is both cheaper and more environmentally friendly (if you use it for 110 years or something smile)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »