Talk

Advanced search

Can I make a purple cake?

(18 Posts)
SlightlyMadStar Thu 23-Aug-07 22:35:29

And I mean cake not icing.

I know I can make the cake batter pink with red colouring.
When I tried to do blue in the past I added blue colouring and got green (yellow batter + blue =green)

So can I do purple? Will Yellow batter + red colour + blue colour just = horrid brown mess?

collision Thu 23-Aug-07 22:36:27

cant you just cover it in purple icing?

i think you might get a splodgey mess!!

funnypeculiar Thu 23-Aug-07 22:36:31

um, I suspect not. why would you want to ?

littlelapin Thu 23-Aug-07 22:36:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PassingBreezeBlocks Thu 23-Aug-07 22:36:42

How about only using egg white to make it less yellow?

maureenmlove Thu 23-Aug-07 22:37:23

Tricky! You can buy purple colouring paste though. If you disolved a bit of that in the mix it might work.

Califrau Thu 23-Aug-07 22:37:23

SlightlyMadStar Thu 23-Aug-07 22:41:36

To whoever asked why - I have a purple obsessed DD!!!.

I was going to make pink fairy cakes for DTD1 (who likes pink) - but if I do I know I will get uproar from DTD2 who will want purple cakes (who is obsessed with purple).

They will be topped with purple icing in any case - I just thought I would make the batter fun too.

Will food colouring paste work better than the little bottles then?

pointydog Thu 23-Aug-07 22:44:54

barfarama

collision Thu 23-Aug-07 22:45:43

she could have a purple jelly!!

chalat Thu 23-Aug-07 22:46:23

I know someone who made a cake with deep blue icing, to take into the office to share.......

so much colouring it had the effect of turning poo blue................

littlelapin Thu 23-Aug-07 22:48:03

overthehill Thu 23-Aug-07 22:51:07

I think the paste generally works better than the liquid food colouring because it's more concentrated so you need less of it & it doesn't affect the consistency/taste of the cake. I find that some liquid food colourings are stronger than others & if you put in a lot to get a good strong colour it either tastes disgusting or goes too sloppy.

I've had all sorts of adventures with decorating birthday cakes and have learned by my mistakes as well as having a lot of fun being creative, so give it a go & good luck!

maureenmlove Thu 23-Aug-07 22:54:13

Second LL. Paste is the way forward! And it doesn't stain things nearly as badly as the liquid. The grape colour is lush!

pointydog Thu 23-Aug-07 23:00:03

purple jelly - a much nicer idea

SlightlyMadStar Fri 24-Aug-07 08:26:08

I can't ice and decorate purple jelly though (its not for a birtday it is for decorating on a playdate).

Can I get the pastes on hte high street?

Habbibu Fri 24-Aug-07 11:20:30

What about blended blackberries and/or blueberries in the batter - turns my daughter's porridge and pancakes a lovely purple. Have not tried it in a cake...

SlightlyMadShockwave Tue 28-Aug-07 20:44:44

Just an update for the arhives...

yellow cake batter + red colour + blue colour = brown sludgy mess. Unfortunately I couldn't find the pastes on the high street (although didn't look much further than Tesco TBH)

It did have a slight hint of purple - which DTD2 insists she could see so was happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now