Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone managed to change the diet of a teen and a pre-teen so that they eat more healthily?

(4 Posts)
lilibet Wed 22-Aug-07 10:31:54

I really need an action plan for my two sons. Their diet is poor and I'm fed up of the battles.

ds1, 14, will eat any plainly cooked meat or fish, eggs, rice, pasta, (but only with a white sauce with chicken, bacon, mushrooms in it) apples, grapes, mushrooms, beans, chips, roasts, pizza, and he loves fruit juice.

ds2, 10, will eat any plainly cooked meat or fish but not mince, apples, bananas, peas, sweetcorn, beans, chips, roasts, mash, pizza, will not have any sort of fruit juice.

This is something that is challeneged regulary at home, with varying forms of success, I have set up charts for five a day, with a prize at the end of the week for who has manged it, (but their five a day is always the same five!)
I have offered incentives for trying different food. I have just put meals in front of them and told them they are not leaving the table until it has gone and they have sat there all night.

Biscuits adn crisps are not readily available at home, fruit always is.

When ds2 was a baby he had all home made food and would eat anything, but their attitude to food over the years has got worse.

I know that I have made a rod for my own back but do not want food to become an issue for either of them, just wnat them to have a more varied adn healthier diet.

BTW, I also have a dd, who will eat anything!!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 22-Aug-07 10:37:36

To be honest it sounds like you have already made an issue of it!

I think you're doing really well to get them eating 5 a day. So what if they're the same 5 every day?

Relax a bit and let them enjoy their food. Work with what they like and don't make life so stressful for yourself.

You're doing a lot of the right things - and I suspect many more than most of us

Sonnet Wed 22-Aug-07 14:57:43

How about getting them into the kitchen to do some cooking themselves?

Taking an interest in food - maybe taking a cue from a TV food programme - may encourage them to try new foods

Lilymaid Wed 22-Aug-07 15:06:14

Lilibet - your DSs diet is pretty standard and not too unhealthy. I have two DSs, aged 20 and 16 and have found that they only ate new things when they went to other people's houses - then would tell me how wonderful X was (X being a food I'd tried to get them to eat at home many times before). DS1 is at university now and eats virtually everything - including fruit and veg. DS2 still fussy but is extremely fit and healthy.
A chart is probably not going to work for a 14 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now