Talk

Advanced search

Chutneys that are a few years old?

(11 Posts)
JudyDenchsBloomers Mon 02-Dec-19 02:09:03

Would you eat unopened chutney that is a year or so out of date?

I'm off to a cheese and wine party later this week and thought I could bring along some chutneys to go with it. I've got a few in my cupboard (forgot they were there) oldest one is from 2014.. normally I'd chuck away but given they've never been opened and bottled in a sterilised environment, what's best practice? I genuinely don't know.

They're not called preserves for nothing, WWYD? Eat or chuck?

tobee Mon 02-Dec-19 02:53:36

Hmm. I might eat it myself if it looked ok but I would worry about taking it to an event where others might eat and be ill afterwards! shock

Woeisme99 Mon 02-Dec-19 02:55:56

You really shouldn't share them widely at a party. Eat at your own risk at home of course.

JudyDenchsBloomers Mon 02-Dec-19 03:11:49

Hmm I was thinking this and I'm a bit casual about sell by/use by dates so what would work for me might not for others.

Thanks for the sense check!

dreamingofsun Mon 02-Dec-19 10:29:55

i read somewhere that they are ok to eat, unless when you open them they smell yeasty

MerryDeath Mon 02-Dec-19 10:42:39

as long as they aren't furry/smelly they should be fine and id definitely eat them

maslinpan Mon 02-Dec-19 18:07:36

The sugar and vinegar in chutney are there to act as preservatives and they are very effective!

DustyDoorframes Tue 03-Dec-19 09:21:43

The older the yummier!! Obviously if they look/smell/taste weird chuck. And I wouldn't take out if date stuff to a party either. But don't chuck it it's probably absolutely delicious by now!

sillysmiles Tue 03-Dec-19 09:24:11

Did you make them or buy them? I know there home made chutneys I've made have been used 2+ yrs later. I often leave then a year before opening anyway. Tastes way better.
Bought ones- no idea.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 03-Dec-19 12:15:50

I wouldn't waste vintage chutney on people who won't appreciate it. In addition to the sugar and vinegar acting as preservatives there will be spices and lots of salt. I'd eat it.

JudyDenchsBloomers Tue 03-Dec-19 12:56:36

Hmm a swing in the other direction! The ones we have, we bought, but have a home made look about them (handwritten labels, cottage industries etc).

Think it'll be safer to keep the older ones at home for us to enjoy and take the three that are in date along, on the off chance we get sick or worse, lose face with providing questionable chutney!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »