Talk

Advanced search

Newly veggie teen Christmas

(18 Posts)
gassylady Sun 01-Dec-19 17:29:50

Any suggestions for a fancy looking oven ready main course for my newly veggie teen. Doesn’t like nut roast or mushrooms. Ideally something to go with the traditional roast that looks special/Christmassy. Ok if it feeds several as will get used as leftovers

gassylady Sun 01-Dec-19 17:30:57

Forgot to say would prefer to buy and have in freezer but if to be “time limited food order service ok

Ricekrispie22 Mon 02-Dec-19 04:53:26

I haven’t tried this personally but it’s mushroom-free and would go with all the trimmings www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/christmas-vegetarian-alternatives/sainsburys-festive-melt-280g

sashh Mon 02-Dec-19 05:25:44

Chestnuts?

If you get unsweetened chestnut puree you can make a pie or pate. I know this isn't ready made but you could make it now and freeze. Unless chestnuts come into the nut category, which I know they do but they taste so different.

A starter I have done which may or may not work with the other veg.

Filo pastry cut into squares, brie and mango chutney. Cut the brie into pieces, put it on the filo, add a teaspoon of mange chutney and make into a barcel by pulling the filo together.

As it is for Xmas you could make the filo into a christmas cracker.

Stuffed onions, onion stuffed with lentils and spices.

gassylady Mon 02-Dec-19 07:58:36

Thanks Rice that looks promising will squeeze in a trip to Sainsburys

CherryPavlova Mon 02-Dec-19 08:01:49

I have a veggie twenty something. She’s getting a stuffed butternut squash from M&S this year. Usually it’s been a homemade stuffed red pepper, as it is easy and looks so festive.

Glenda18 Mon 02-Dec-19 08:13:47

If you don't mind doing a bit of cooking you could make https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranberry-lentil-bake - freeze and then heat up on the day. If not Lidl have some good options of nice looking frozen pies . Or this but leave out the nuts https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/root-vegetable-tatin-candied-nuts-blue-cheese

Sistercharlie Mon 02-Dec-19 08:17:32

Hi op, going along with a pp's suggestion, I recommend Felicity Cloake's

spiced chestnut and squash filo pie with feta.

gassylady Mon 02-Dec-19 18:59:48

Some lovely ideas. Love to cook and we regularly cook veggie dishes together. I’m looking for wow (and minimal work!) for Christmas Day. Space in kitchen and oven at a premium

HelloDulling Mon 02-Dec-19 19:02:25

M&S do a vegetarian Kiev that my teen DD loves. Breadcrumbs, lots of veg, and a cheese sauce in the middle. Not exactly fancy looking, but can be frozen, cooks in 20mins, will go with all your trimmings.

AdaColeman Mon 02-Dec-19 19:14:55

Waitrose (and Ocado) do a beetroot Wellington, also a mixed root en croute, which would go with a traditional Christmas dinner. Or look out for Higgidy pie, though that might contain mushrooms, so you'd need to check ingredients.

gassylady Mon 02-Dec-19 21:24:12

The Kiev sounds like a definite possibility thanks for that - cheese is a definite plus

HappyHedgehog247 Mon 02-Dec-19 21:56:13

I’ve made similar to the filo above but with Brie and cranberry rather than mango. Festive and pretty and quick!

Thehagonthehill Mon 02-Dec-19 22:02:06

Aldi always have some good festive things in their veggie frozen section.

drivingtofrance Tue 03-Dec-19 19:13:48

I have a veggie DC too - and one of our guests is pescatarian. So I make this goodwillpie

It's a hit with the turkey eaters too. The pie is quite large so will be good for the day after.

MrsSpenserGregson Tue 03-Dec-19 19:15:50

ooh I've recently become vegetarian and I've ordered the root vegetable tarte tatin from M&S for my xmas lunch, along with a red cabbage dish (I'm still cooking turkey etc for the rest of the family). I'm looking forward to my Christmas lunch this year more than I ever have in the past tbh.

MrsSpenserGregson Tue 03-Dec-19 19:17:22

Oh the M&S tarte tatin seems to have disappeared from the website!

doritosdip Tue 03-Dec-19 19:17:56

I've seen vegan pigs in blankets in Morrisons. The blanket is pastry and the sausage is made from jackfruit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »