Talk

Advanced search

Mincemeat - which is the best for mince pies

(12 Posts)
Jantolee Sun 17-Nov-19 16:53:20

I make mince pies every year and usually use Robertsons. For some reason I can't get hold of it this year. I've tried Tesco, Sainsburys, Iceland, Aldi and Co-op near me. I don't know if there is a shortage or something! I have made mincemeat in the past, but it has been a bit sloppy and I have used Aldi and Tesco ones, but they haven't been as nice. I would be grateful for any suggestions

Ricekrispie22 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:44:22

What a coincidence - I saw this yesterday www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/mince-pie-taste-test-buy-best-christmas-2019/

Jantolee Sun 17-Nov-19 18:27:22

Thanks for this RiceKrispie - interesting! What I'm really looking for though is just the mincemeat, the innards if you like. I like my own pastry the best 😊, not so good at making the contents. Robertsons is very good but doesn't seem to be available in the usual places.

LadyLanka Mon 18-Nov-19 07:09:12

I didn't have time to make any last year ans used Thursday Cottage, you can get it online. Added a good amount of brandy. Mince pies were very toothsome according to those who ate them.

FawnDrench Mon 18-Nov-19 18:00:31

You can get Robertson's from Amazon -

Jantolee Mon 18-Nov-19 18:06:19

Thanks for your replies. I'm interested in trying Thursday Cottage and will also order from Amazon xx

widgetbeana Mon 18-Nov-19 18:33:50

I have a very easy recipe to make your own and I have very favourable reviews from it! I have made it i the last and only let it sit for 5 days before using, so it is still possible to make your own.

widgetbeana Mon 18-Nov-19 18:34:20

Sorry I forgot the important part! I am happy to share recipe if you'd like it!

Ifionlyknewthenwhatiknownow3 Mon 18-Nov-19 19:08:52

Lidl mincemeat filling is delicious

Jantolee Tue 19-Nov-19 19:04:06

Thanks @widgetbeana, if you don't mind sharing it, that would be lovely. I will also try the Lidl one @Ifionlyknewthenwhatiknownow3 - we eat loads of them and I also make them for work, so there will be a good variety. xx

widgetbeana Tue 19-Nov-19 21:53:46

@Jantolee

*Recipe for mincemeat below here*! (Makes a large batch of mincemeat! Maybe half it for first test run!)

350g raisins
350g sultanas
175g brown sugar
120g chopped cherries
120g chopped almonds
120g shredded suet (atora)
Rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
3 raw apples peeled and grated
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp cinnamon
Sherry
Orange juice

Mix all ingredients together and pour over a couple of glasses or sherry and orange juice. Needs to be a sticky, but not sloppy consistency. Err on the drier side if unsure. The apples will sort of 'melt down' and so will the suet so it becomes 'juicier' after a few days. I often add more sherry or orange juice after a couple of days if it's not looking gloopy enough for my liking.

Mix every day or 2. If not used within 2 weeks freeze it until ready to use.

I also use almond pastry with it, makes it amazing!

*Almond pastry*
225g plain flour
30g ground almonds
90g icing sugar
1/2 tsp lemon rind
175g butter
1 egg

- flour, sugar, almonds into bowl
- rub in butter until looks like breadcrumbs
- add lemon and egg yolk, mix until soft and sticky
- add a little egg white if the dough is not soft and sticky yet.
- wrap in cling film and chill before using.

(This pastry is very delicate and so needs to be left to cool in the tins before attempting to remove the mince pies!)

Bake pies for around 15 minutes at 165 degrees.

Jantolee Tue 19-Nov-19 23:19:31

That looks amazing. Will definitely try it! Xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »