Talk

Advanced search

Food to take to hospital

(7 Posts)
ceecee32 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:24:04

Hi everyone - just after a few ideas please.
I have just spent the best part of 6 weeks in hospital and got so fed up of the food that I completely lost my appetite.
I will be going back in again in a couple of weeks for another spell.

I will have the luxury of a fridge in my own room (maybe not from the start) but not a kettle or any cooking equipment. I will be able to get hot water if I ask for it.

I am trying to think of things I can take with me, this time I had cheese and crackers, yoghurts and granola and sweets and chocolates. But for the first time in my life I dont think I will ever eat chocolate ever again.

I think I need to add that I will only really have my elderly parents to bring things in for me so they either need to be things I can take myself or lightweight. I have thought of tins of tuna ?? and maybe the individually packed brioche.

Is there any such thing as pouches of rice that dont need to be cooked ???
Is there anything else you can suggest ?

The hospital impressed on me that I need to eat something to keep my strength up. It doesnt have to be particularly healthy but has to have calories..

Ricekrispie22 Sat 16-Nov-19 16:27:56

John West light lunches (can be kept at ambient temperature and don’t need heating or boiling water)
John West steam pots (just require boiling water)
Tesco’s Wicked Kitchen range of pot meals are good. I like the coconut cracked corn. They just require boiling water.
Naked Noodle are posh pot noodles without preservatives. They have so many different flavours so it would take a while to get bored and they’ve just branches out into Naked Rice too! Twisted are a similar brand to look out for and are stocked in Tesco. They use only natural ingredients.
You could also get packets of flavoured couscous (such as the Ainsley Harriett range) which just require being soaked in boiled water for 10-15 minutes. I like the Mediterranean vegetable one with crumbled feta and cherry tomatoes. The Moroccan medley one goes well with falafel (see below!) or a small tin of chickpeas.

Snack on dried fruit, nuts, seeds, pretzels, oatcakes and flapjack fingers to keep up the calories.

Things to put in the fridge:
Quiches
Smoked salmon
Cream cheese
Pate
Falafel
Scotch eggs
Sausage rolls
Hummous
Cocktail sausages

Purpleartichoke Sat 16-Nov-19 16:29:20

Do you have access to a microwave? We buy pouches of rice that just need to be heated in the microwave for a minute.

AdaColeman Sat 16-Nov-19 16:46:34

Hello!
Do you live somewhere that can have an Ocado delivery? If so they sell a range called Rio Mare, they are tuna salads with things like rice or beans or cous-cous. They don't need heating or a refrigerator, and come in a tub with a peel off lid, so very easy to eat.
John West also do a range of similar types of meals.

Have you thought of taking in individual tubs of custard, you could also have tubs of jelly and fruit with them, or a blob of jam might be available from your breakfast tray. They don't need to be in a fridge at all.

Another idea might be to make in some condiments, eg mayonnaise or Caesar salad dressing, to brighten up the hospital food that you are a bit bored with.

Hope you get well soon.

CherryPavlova Sat 16-Nov-19 16:50:23

Instant porridge pots for breakfast maybe with yogurt and berries.
Sandwiches or salads for lunch
A trip to M&S deli counter - chicken skewers or scotch egg with a nice salad.
Good cuppa soup and nice bread.
Hummus and crudités
Nice cheeses and chutney
Smoothie
Milkshake
Supplement hospital foods like baked potatoes with cheeses etc.
Get someone to bring in takeaway pizza or curry, bring homemade hot food in flasks or go to hospital canteen.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 16-Nov-19 16:53:01

Am sitting on a hospital ward wondering what to buy for my SIL who has no appetite and is going to have an NG tube down.
I’m thinking of those little tubs of Ambrosia rice.

ceecee32 Sat 16-Nov-19 18:42:43

Wow - thank you for all the suggestions - hoping that I will be able keep my appetite next time.

Hospital food was OK for the first couple of weeks but they just repeat the same menu over and over and over..

More difficult that I wasnt allowed out of my room as my immune system was non existent so couldnt go to the cafe or shop.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »